My new roughing mill

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

My new roughing mill

Post by jim royston »

After 13 years, I've gotten tired of rough planing. So I made this which will eliminate 75% of the hand planing.
I've run a strip with the first angle already planed, from a set of strips for another rod.
Add dust shield and vacuum connector and I'm good to go.

Phil13
Guide

Re: My new roughing mill

Post by Phil13 »

Looks great. Is there a standard 60 router bit for this. I’ve never used a router much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil13
Guide

Post by Phil13 »

Oh, I see it’s a flat bit on the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I like it, I like it alot. Use it, and learn from it.
Last edited by kermit on 09/20/21 08:10, edited 2 times in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Basically the router bit takes the place of the plane blade. I have strips for a 2 tip rod that I’m running through it. We’ll see how it goes

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

It’s alive!
I just finished a bundle of strips for a 2 tip rod. Very pleased with the results. Feed rate and control are critical.

Middleton
Sport

Post by Middleton »

Nice ... thirteen years of rough planing. Your a lot more patient than I am as I could only get through a few rods and had to build a machine for roughing. I like the "Workmate" too, those things are great ;o)
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

cheers,
Frank

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I designed it to bolt to my bench but it's better in my garage for purposes of cleanup. I got 2 workmates, one on the shop and this one in the garage, both indispensable

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

I hand planed my first two rods from scratch. I milled a set of strips for my third rod while "evaluating" whether I wanted to purchase a roughing mill. Have never looked back.

dbeerbower
Guide

Post by dbeerbower »

Do yourself a favor and build an enclosure for the roughing mill that allows you to pass the strips through the anvil and attach the vacuum to a hole in the bottom of the enclosure to suck up all the dust. It ends up being much cleaner with no dust to breathe.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Actually this produces almost no dust. I've changed the position of the dust collector twice. This setup works very well. Thanks for your suggestion.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”