Alternative cork grips

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jan96
Master Guide

Alternative cork grips

Post by jan96 »

When you don't want to spend $$$ for rod grips used champagne cork stoppers are good source for the grip material. Not as beautiful as the grips made with selected cork rings purchased from the specialized dealers, but sometimes when cosmetics are in the "second plan" they make a useful handle. And I'm sure fish don't care how the rod looks... ;)
r :)

Wamfess

Re: Alternative cork grips

Post by Wamfess »

Started buying more Cava👍

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

I've been doing that for years. A couple of my favorite rods are a combo of flor and wine corks. One problem I have is too often the fused cork chunks will begin to separate after sanding and there are always a few tags sticking up. But they also make for a nice "worn" look right off the lathe that way, so...
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I cut the solid cork from Champagne corks. 1/4” thick to reduce voids. Makes completely usable grips
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Lee, I noticed the rod with the "champagne" grip only after a couple of minutes!! When I finished "measuring" and guessing how long is the fish!!! ;) Nice rod and grip btw! A heavier rod I guess... 8-9wt?!
r :)

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

;) The total length of grip is 11.5” from end of fighting butt to front of grip. It is my take on a Para 17 - 8’6” 8 weight.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Middleton
Sport

Post by Middleton »

This seems pretty neat. Whats the diameter of the champagne cork? Is just the larger part used?
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

cheers,
Frank

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Here's an early FET Dirigo grip. These have been seen on rods beginning with the Brewer built era. We've noted they're very durable and not at all prone to chipping.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”