a question concerning basket weave creels

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

a question concerning basket weave creels

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello,
what do you recommend or use on old creels, decommissioned, and look good hanging on the wall in the rod and gun room to condition and preserve them? i am not sure varnish would be appropriate. thanks for any suggestions and comments.

regards, jim w

barebo
Master Guide

Re: a question conserning basket weave creels

Post by barebo »

I use mine once in the spring to hold our annual "Rite of Spring" pan fried Trout dinner celebration. It then gets hosed thoroughly and hung on the porch to dry for a few weeks. You aren't sure of varnish but I used Helmsman Spar Satin in the spray can and it's been many seasons so far and looks the part.
Danish oil in natural would preserve it without a sheen or glossy appearance but takes a while to fully dry/cure.
My creels are the plain woven wicker style - no leather. Finding a decent vintage creel to use is getting pricey as they've become "Shabby Chic" decor!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

We used to shellac or put spar varnish on our wicker creels when we were still actively using those creels. For indoor décor, they really don't need any varnishing unless you just want to freshen up the appearance of a well-used creel.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

barebo wrote:
09/26/21 09:51
I use mine once in the spring to hold our annual "Rite of Spring" pan fried Trout dinner celebration. It then gets hosed thoroughly and hung on the porch to dry for a few weeks. You aren't sure of varnish but I used Helmsman Spar Satin in the spray can and it's been many seasons so far and looks the part.
Danish oil in natural would preserve it without a sheen or glossy appearance but takes a while to fully dry/cure.
My creels are the plain woven wicker style - no leather. Finding a decent vintage creel to use is getting pricey as they've become "Shabby Chic" decor!
thanks again; any fisher who likes pan fried brookies for lunch needs a working creel. i have a few still working. spar satin - will try on one. have one carolina wren built nest three years running last nest still has on egg unhatched.
regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

GerardH wrote:
09/26/21 12:07
We used to shellac or put spar varnish on our wicker creels when we were still actively using those creels. For indoor décor, they really don't need any varnishing unless you just want to freshen up the appearance of a well-used creel.
hello, thanks again; yes, wicker and leather do not age well and i am concerned about proper maintenance. mink oil and lexol on the leather, the wicker gets brittle with age. will try shellac and spar.

regards, jim w

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
09/26/21 12:40
GerardH wrote:
09/26/21 12:07
hello, thanks again; yes, wicker and leather do not age well and i am concerned about proper maintenance. mink oil and lexol on the leather, the wicker gets brittle with age. will try shellac and spar.

regards, jim w
You hit upon it: With my creels (I have six or seven), the leather is what deteriorates the quickest -- even when kept dry. I have to figure out replacement of some of the rawhide straps that have broken due to rot or what have you.

The wicker itself will stabilize as long as it remains dry (I have 45 y/o creels from my junior high days hanging in my garage). If you plan to use it for its intended purpose, sealing it with spar varnish will extend its life significantly.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I simply let mine age naturally. I prefer the patina. Though the leather straps get a treatment of "Meltonian All-Purpose Cleaner and Conditioner" now and again. I use it on all of my leather boots, baseball gloves etc. Top shelf. Made in Poland. I don't know what's in it nor do I want to know. :) It works.
Mark

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I own a number of older,leathered creels (Larwence, Nelson, Voight, Clark...). Periodically, I apply a leather conditioner to exposed leather including any harness. Neatsfoot Compound helps keep the leather supple. I leave creel buckles un-done.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

I have creels of varying age and value. Early century working man varietals to really beautiful contemporary interpretations on the theme. They all get the same treatment. Boiled Linseed Oil thinned a bit with turpentine on the wicker. Limmer boot grease on the leather. They look old and deeply colored and otherwise un-messed with...

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

ctwhite wrote:
09/26/21 16:50
I have creels of varying age and value. Early century working man varietals to really beautiful contemporary interpretations on the theme. They all get the same treatment. Boiled Linseed Oil thinned a bit with turpentine on the wicker. Limmer boot grease on the leather. They look old and deeply colored and otherwise un-messed with...
hello; that is what i want to try, i will hunt up the linseeed oil can. thanks for the tip. on leather, i am old fashioned, still using angelus mink oil and lexol.
i also have some green and some red creels.

regards, jim w

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”