Advice on tip repair - Leonard 9’6” circa 1915

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Mpheckler

Advice on tip repair - Leonard 9’6” circa 1915

Post by Mpheckler »

Looking for advice on a restoration I am tackling, and any and all help is appreciated. Rod is 9’6” Leonard from 1915-1923 period. The wrap on the tip needs repaired and I can’t find any pictures online about what it ought to look like in original form. I have attached a couple photos of current condition. I have been at work on butt section and intermediate section taking off few of the bad wraps and stripping with denatured alcohol but as of yet have not touched the tip section.

Thank you!
Mike

MGrallert
Guide

Re: Advice on tip repair - Leonard 9’6” circa 1915

Post by MGrallert »

That wrap would have gone all the way to the tip. They were often very long wraps to support the tip wire. I don't have anything similar in front of me but if I had to guess the length would be about1.5 to 2 inches. You might be able to see ghosting that will tell you where the wrap started on the cane.

Mpheckler

Post by Mpheckler »

Thank you!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello; j am not 100 per cent convinced that tip top was installed on the tip a leonard. fred thomas was lomg gone from there. it looks to be a field emergency repair. i have been caretaker to and examined a lot of leonards in 70 years of bamboo rod fishing and if from leonard i would have been napping during that period :) .

regards, jim w

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
10/06/21 12:23
hello; j am not 100 per cent convinced that tip top was installed on the tip a leonard. fred thomas was lomg gone from there. it looks to be a field emergency repair. i have been caretaker to and examined a lot of leonards in 70 years of bamboo rod fishing and if from leonard i would have been napping during that period :) .

regards, jim w
+1. I agree that a teardrop-shaped tip-top was likely not original on that era Leonard.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”