Granger reel seat issue

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Granger reel seat issue

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Please see the below pic. I just acquired a nice Granger Favorite and the first time I put a reel on the rod, the screw knob at the back became separated from the band. I can't unscrew it any more, and the band will not move. In short, my reel is stuck on the rod. I've never had this happen on a Granger reel seat before. Does anyone know what is wrong with it and how to fix it? Stupid question, as I'm sure there are many on this forum that know...

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Granger reel seat issue

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, WD-40, then tap with wood or plastic and wiggle.

Jay Edwards

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

There was another similar thread on this subject just recently. I would start by screwing the knob back in and then unscrewing while putting pressure on the movable hood, this should allow you to get your reel off and then reassess how to proceed.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks Jay, your suggestion worked so now the reel if off. However, I still have the more important questions of what is broken and how do I fix it?

Kevin

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I have fixed these. The whole reel seat must be removed. There is a nut inside that has come loose and it needs to be reattached. The end of the threaded stem needs to be unstaked, then the threaded end cap can be removed. The nut has to be reattached, the end cap reassembled and the threaded stem restaked, then the reel seat reattached. I can fix if you send the butt section of the rod to me. Or, you can wrap the butt end of the cork with wet gauze to keep the exposed cork from getting burnt. Using an alcohol lamp flame, heat the reel seat uniformally until it slips off. Then send me the reel seat for repair.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I appreciate the offer kermit, but the person I bought the rod from already has someone to repair it.

Kevin

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”