Had by my electronic micrometer

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Had by my electronic micrometer

Post by Don Andersen »

Folks,

For 40 years I used a Starret Micrometer for building however over time the thimble became harder to see so I acquired a brand new, easy to see electronic micrometer.
Unlike the simplicity of the Starret, this thing has several features that really screwed up some strips.
1) a rezeroing function, if held too long, rezeros the micrometer at whatever the the opening was. The micrometer shuts itself down if not regularly used which means each time the micrometer is restarted, it should have the anvil faces cleaned and the micrometer rezeroed.
2) changing the battery, rezeros at whatever the opening was when the battery was installed.

‘Twas an ugly discovery!

Don

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Had by my electronic micrometer

Post by jim royston »

In one of Kermit's posts a couple of years ago, he showed a mechanical micrometer called a Speedmike which registers a 3 digit display that is very easy to read. I bought one and have used the micrometer much more often to measure whatever.

BearE

Post by BearE »

Mitutoyu still makes non digital dial calipers

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Hi,

Got two Mitotoyo non-digital calipers now.

Thanx,

Don

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”