Repro Labels

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Jcrouse
Guide

Repro Labels

Post by Jcrouse »

Hi,

Does anyone do reproduction labels for resto jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Repro Labels

Post by ozarkwater »

I think this is a great Idea. I have known some who make their own...however that is smaller scale and probably is not really worth their time to hand out freebies.

Me? I would pay...up to $20 easy to have a custom label. Maybe that is not enough?

Let me clarify, not sure if it will make any difference in the discussion. I was thinking rod tube labels. Not rod on the cane labels/decals.

Going to the holder of the current copyright on the name in order to purchase a rod tube label from the holder...I would. I will probably get slammed for this, but not sure how a brand new rod tube label can be considered to represent an 85 year old label. Anytime I have ever made modifications to a rod or tube I have disclosed such prior to sale or trade. [ such as cleaned the tube and rod bag. Have you ever lightly washed an 80 year old rod bag? :) My grandmother would have a fit if I did that in her kitchen sink. ] Anyway...
Last edited by ozarkwater on 10/14/21 07:11, edited 2 times in total.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

look at the problems created by the FAKE chubb labels from 10 + years ago. rods with those FORGED labels continue to cause problems today. Restoration labels are a forgery of a companies signature and if you have any respect for maintaining an accurate history reproduction/forgeries should not be used because it can and has lead to rods being sold as original when they were NOT!!!! MHO

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Gnome wrote:look at the problems created by the FAKE chubb labels from 10 + years ago. rods with those FORGED labels continue to cause problems today. Restoration labels are a forgery of a companies signature and if you have any respect for maintaining an accurate history reproduction/forgeries should not be used because it can and has lead to rods being sold as original when they were NOT!!!! MHO
Thank you for this perspective. I totally get where you are coming from. Good point to consider.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Hi All,
Good topic but was hoping to see a more detailed discussion...I did a search in this forum on Chubb reproduction labels and got some more information. Unfortunately none of photos which compare legit Chubb labels to reproduction labels were available, just got an "image icon" instead of the actual photo. I did see a short discussion from Rex who essentially said if the label looks to good to be true - it's probably a fake.

I'm concerned about picking up one of the reproduction labeled rods on the online auction, and would like to educate myself a little before bidding on these rods.

thanks in advance,
Sawtelle

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I'm with da Gnome on this one, although less vehemently. Reproducing original, most likely copyrighted albeit expired, symbols/logos is forgery and should be clearly marked as such if used at all.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

yes, gnome has got that right!!!

jim w

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, There were some tube shipping labels floating around a while back. I bought some and put them on. I think the tubes are original. It's the same problem, but maybe less so, eh?

Jay Edwards

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

bluesjay wrote:
10/13/21 20:29
Hi Guys, There were some tube shipping labels floating around a while back. I bought some and put them on. I think the tubes are original. It's the same problem, but maybe less so, eh?
Jay Edwards
Apples and oranges.We're talkin' rod decals here,
I believe.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have no interest in supporting counterfeit labels, but decals are easy to make, as long as no white "ink" is involved. Water-slide decal papers for use with ink-jet printers are available online. I have used them for things other than counterfeit labels and they are easy to use.

Why do I mention this? Well, our protestations on this forum will not stop the unscrupulous.

Tim

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I’m with Jeff on that also but then how is a clone of a rod taper any different?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

IF not marked as a such and such taper made by ???? There is no difference in my book, Give credit where it is due and there should be no problem if the Company is not in business any longer. If still in business we need to take the high road and let that maker do what they do without worrying about others using proprietary company information. to their financial detriment.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”