Glue line issue

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Glue line issue

Post by LeeO »

Do you have a gauge to check that your are maintaining 60 deg?
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

When I get glue lines like that (indeed, mostly in butt sections), it's either breakout at nodes (not noticing it before the strip gets too close to final dimensions to remedy), or bad strip preparation. For my own rods, and for prototypes, I usually don't bother too much, since it doesn't usually compromise strength there, but in rods that go to others it's best avoided...

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

henkverhaar wrote:
10/20/21 14:06
When I get glue lines like that (indeed, mostly in butt sections), it's either breakout at nodes (not noticing it before the strip gets too close to final dimensions to remedy), or bad strip preparation. For my own rods, and for prototypes, I usually don't bother too much, since it doesn't usually compromise strength there, but in rods that go to others it's best avoided...
Agree, I use my rods or give to friends. Better the friend, smaller the glue line. But, eventually, if not remedied, I'll need worse friends.

BearE

Post by BearE »

Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Agree, I use my rods or give to friends. Better the friend, smaller the glue line. But, eventually, if not remedied, I'll need worse friends.
Hilarious!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I suspect my problem, because I have never had trouble with glue lines in tips, well never say never. It's much more of a problem on larger rods. 7' and smaller no trouble. I run out of bamboo on the width of the strip, and it's hard to see. I do need to go back to binding dry. Thanks for the advice.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”