Aluminum anodizing small batch

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

quadrate
Guide

Aluminum anodizing small batch

Post by quadrate »

I made a bunch of Paul Young style sliding bands and would like to get them anodized black or if anyone has any other suggestions on a way the blacken them. Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to piggyback anodizing them with someone that did a large anodizing order. Anyone have any suggestions where to possibly get this done?

Tim Zietak

dave49
Guide

Re: Aluminum anodizing small batch

Post by dave49 »

It is rather a big deal to get a batch of small parts anodized. The anodizer has to build a "rack" that will suspend all the parts in the acid solution while providing a path for dc current to each. At the contact points, there will be a small area that does not become anodized, so this point has to be in a location that is hidden. If the contact pressure is not sufficient, then the part may lose contact and the process fails. For sliding bands, I think you would want some sort of spring clip that touches just the inner diameter. Or perhaps the ring itself can provide the needed spring action, so the rack can be rigid metal.
The rack can be made of titanium or aluminum. If aluminum, then it also becomes anodized during the process. This coating can be stripped away by soaking in a lye solution so that an aluminum rack is re-usable.
Since you are able to machine things, I suggest that you build the rack yourself. But first visit the anodizer's shop and find out his needs for the holding the rack. Do not use steel screws on the rack. You can get small titanium screws from a supplier to the R/C model car community, or make aluminum screws yourself.
I hope that you did not make your bands from alloy 2024; it contains copper and does not anodize well.
I lived for several years in northern Michigan and there was no anodizer close, so I undertook to do the process myself. https://northbranchreels.com/category/p ... ngplating/

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, It shouldn't a lot of $$$.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/g ... ng-145796/

https://www.jetskicnc.com/product/custom-anodize/

Should be some local shops.

Jay Edwards

avyoung
Master Guide
Location: 36°12′S 147°15′E Victoria, Australia on the Mitta Mitta River.

Post by avyoung »

You can anodize yourself unless you're after hard anodizing. Lots on YouTube.

tony

quadrate
Guide

Post by quadrate »

Thanks for the info. I found a place that will be able to do the bands I want done.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”