Experiment: "Madake" 7'9#5

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jan96
Master Guide

Experiment: "Madake" 7'9#5

Post by jan96 »

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Experiment: "Madake" 7'9#5

Post by Kenneth »

Standing ovation!

I'd be really interested to hear more about the rod: the taper, for example, and your impressions on the casting and fishing characteristics, etc.

Thanks much for sharing,
Kenneth

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Me too! Beautiful job!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Very cool as always! Have you tried “cheaper” wine/champagne corks? Not plugs but glued particles? I actually prefer them, my .02

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

Very cool I love to see people trying different ideas, that is how we learn and improve, great work please give you thought on the rod

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Your work is exquisite as always and your photography skills are as well. I have much respect for your level of skill and proving the fruits of your labor with the scenes of fish caught is the proverbial "icing on the cake"!

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Have you made the same taper in tonkin? Can you compare them performance-wise? I think the consensus is that Madake results in a rode 1 one class lighter than tonkin?

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Thank you all for the kind words :)
I used Garrison 209E recalculated for two line weights heavier, from five to seven weight. I was aware that madake is somewhat weaker than tonkin so I hoped to do the right thing with the modification on the taper meant to be used with tonkin. The result is a strong rod which is more a six weight than a five. If I was making another rod starting with the Garrison 209E taper I would recalculate it for a one weight heavier.. As is is a bit heavy and strong, suitable for bigger rivers and bigger dry flies..
r :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

bugslinger wrote:
11/16/21 20:49
Very cool as always! Have you tried “cheaper” wine/champagne corks? Not plugs but glued particles? I actually prefer them, my .02
Do you mean "machined" cork stoppers like this one? I use only the "natural" part. Not the top quality but for the experiments is ok...

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

jan96 wrote:
11/18/21 13:27
If I was making another rod starting with the Garrison 209E taper I would recalculate it for a one weight heavier.
My experience with making two rods from Madake is that one line-weight up is about right. The bamboo makes a very nice rod!

Tim

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I agree with the above; Madake cane has generally resulted in 1 line weight lighter. Although the line class is lighter I also felt it lent it to being better for full flexing rods.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

This one is also made from Madake, 7'#5, solid construction, nodeless. It is a true five weight. See the taper I modified from another - "tonkin taper"..

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Hi Jan,
How did you find this one? I think that the grip would promote the feel with the madake. what were the original numbers or taper you modified?
I am curious as to what you think what style of rod the madake is preferred for.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

mrampant wrote:
11/25/21 20:18
Hi Jan,
How did you find this one? I think that the grip would promote the feel with the madake. what were the original numbers or taper you modified?
I am curious as to what you think what style of rod the madake is preferred for.
Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark, I'm not quite sure but I think I found the original taper here on the forum, (probably)posted by Tim Marchetti, maybe ten years ago. The "ventilated" madake version has a parabolic action and the grip is ok for this kind of action. Honestly when I was making the rod I just wanted to do something different - nodeless madake, ventilated grip, cork reelseat with hidden ring, aluminum ferrules, stainless steel snake rings, "snake" stripping guide, tip top from the stainless wire... I really don't like to make rods looking all the same using bought-premade components...

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

This next rod is also one of "non-tonkin" rods I made. It's made from Guadua bamboo I got from Henkverhaar. Taper is one of "my creations" based on 25years of experience of "looking" ;) to graphs of classic and modern tapers... I can say that it works fine :)

holla999
Sport

Post by holla999 »

hi Jan,
I love it to see that you use the English twist on your snake-eyes!
gr. Peter

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

holla999 wrote:
11/27/21 08:23
hi Jan,
I love it to see that you use the English twist on your snake-eyes!
gr. Peter
Being right handed it is natural to me to twist the wire in that direction.. :)

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Another good looking rod.
The bamboo from the photo looks similar to tonkin with the power fibres closer to the rind.
Cheers,
Mark

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”