Hexagraph Ferrule Repair / Replacement

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

congocooper

Hexagraph Ferrule Repair / Replacement

Post by congocooper »

I’ve got a 7.5ft 4wt Walter Powell hexagraph 2 piece rod and the ferrule has become very loose. The rod doesn’t separate while casting but the upper section does rotate and it’s getting worse and worse. Does anyone know what I should do? I think a ferrule replacement is probably the best option but apparently the hexagraph ferrules are anchored with a pin or something. I’ve got no idea what I’m doing so I’m actually looking for someone who could replace the ferrule. The rod was a present from my grandpa.

kentuckyjim
Guide

Re: Hexagraph Ferrule Repair / Replacement

Post by kentuckyjim »

I have a Hexagraph that I finished from a ferruled blank purchased from Raptor rods in Chico if my memory is good. The male on mine came loose. It came off with no pin. The station on mine had some type material that had been used to make the 6 side blank round under the ferrule. The
replacement ferrule will need to fit both the diameter and the depth of the ferrule station. My ferrule had an indentation to help with alignment of the sections. I would think a replacement would be a
Challenge for someone attempting the repair for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congocooper

Post by congocooper »

I was thinking of trying to track down Walter’s son Press Powell to see what he might recommend; does anyone have contact details for him?

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Jim Clarkson of Raptor rods would have been the person to contact, but he passed away recently. He built the Hexagraph rods for years after Harry Briscoe bought the company and before the business closed a few years back. My wife and I have a couple of Hexagraph rods and the ferrules look like normal nickel silver ferrules used for cane rods. I suspect a cane rod maker could probably help you.

Tim

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Pm sent
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

Keep in mind it’s Walton Powell, not Walter. Press passed away in 2004. Jim passed away this past August. As stated, any reputable rod shop familiar with cane should be able to fix this for you.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”