Baginski beveler and narrow strips?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Fcs
Guide

Baginski beveler and narrow strips?

Post by Fcs »

Any issues with running narrow strips thru a Baginski beveler? Those say 3/16 inch plus or minus. Should I use sandpaper finer than 36 grit? Take lighter passes? I’m trying to break my wasteful habit of starting with fat strips and planing 3/4 of it away.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Baginski beveler and narrow strips?

Post by henkverhaar »

none whatsoever here. [Edit: I usually aim for strips that are about 6 mm (0.24" or approximately 1/4") wide after splitting, but 5 mm strips (0.195") pose no problems either]
Last edited by henkverhaar on 11/22/21 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I make almost only 4-piece rods and vary width of the strips for each section of the blank coming out of my Baginski beveler. With coarser abrasive on the wheels there is a bit more splitting of the strip edges, so I end up with enough width to allow for that. I probably should change to slightly finer abrasive, but am too lazy!

For the record, I use a Morgan Hand Mill to plane the strips to final size.

Tim

flyman219
Guide

Post by flyman219 »

I aim to split my strips to .250" and then bevel down to about .200" width before going to the forms. I have run "undersized" strips without any problem other than not ending up with enough of a strip to use in the form. But if you're going to 3/16" it's about .187" before hitting the forms. The baginski may not be accurate enough to be able to get to that size strip and have enough left to "hit your numbers".

Mike

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Like a few others on this thread I try to split to .250 and then bevel to about .200, but occasionally I will get a strip that splits a bit undersize for the taper I'm building. Rather than waste it I will bevel it and then stash it in a spares tube that I keep. Then, if I am doing a light line rod later I will see if I can use that strip for a tip. Twice I have gotten strips out of the tube to make replacement tips for someone. If you can split reliably to .200 and keep close to that for the whole strip, you can probably do that to reduce waste, especially with tips.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”