Beginning my Bamboo Restoration

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

crkennedy1
Sport

Beginning my Bamboo Restoration

Post by crkennedy1 »

Hi group, I’m really excited to be here as I begin the restoration of an old bamboo, three piece fly rod that I picked up from an old antique store back in 1993. What I have done so far is take measurements of the rod, take some pics and remove the guides, tip tops, grip and reel seat.
Attached are pics of where the project currently sits:

crkennedy1
Sport

Re: Beginning my Bamboo Restoration

Post by crkennedy1 »

crkennedy1 wrote:Hi group, I’m really excited to be here as I begin the restoration of an old bamboo, three piece fly rod that I picked up from an old antique store back in 1993. What I have done so far is take measurements of the rod, take some pics and remove the guides, tip tops, grip and reel seat.
Attached are pics of where the project currently sits:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

I forgot to mention that it also has two tips.

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

I need some advice for stripping it. I’ll not really comfortable using a scraper or razor to remove the old lacquer. I’ve done a little research, and think I’ll try CitriStrip to remove it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

3M Safe Strip will work well.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

PM sent

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

I didn’t realize there were so many greenhorns on this forum, or maybe for some other reason I’m not worth your time. As a new guy trying to see about getting help or direction, only one fellow has bothered to reach out and provide any assistance or advice. Thankfully, he’s been awesome… :'(

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

I have a little bit of experience with restoring rods and if you need help just PM me and we can talk about the trials and travails you will encounter with a first restoration.

check your PM's

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

Thank you, I’ll head n over.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

I am up and about give me a call

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

I use Citristrip and really like it. Easy to apply, thick enough that I can apply it close to decals and such and itll stay put.

I leave it on and then.wipe it off. Repeat if necessary, then a quick wipe down with after wash or brush cleaner or mineral spirits.

After that I have at it with qtips. Cotton balls and Denatured Alcohol to get what didnt come off yet

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

crkennedy1 wrote:
11/28/21 12:56
I need some advice for stripping it. I’ll not really comfortable using a scraper or razor to remove the old lacquer. I’ve done a little research, and think I’ll try CitriStrip to remove it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I recently stripped my first (a good condition HI Lucky Ace with poor finish and rusty guides). I found the straight edge razor really easy to remove the finish, like a cabinet scraper. I did also use an actual cabinet scraper, and it worked well, too. Try it!!

I gave the blank a nice coat of Tru-Oil (very experienced with that and rifle and shotgun stocks!)
Now to wrap and replace the grip.

Mike B

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

Thanks, good info.

Jules1
Sport

Post by Jules1 »

I just Completed removing the finish on my first bamboo restoration. Used a single edge razor like s scraper. I used an 800 grit stone to sharped the razor with a burr on one side. Staying flat on the blank is important. only work on it when you are in the right state of mind, don’t hurry. Good things take time

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Hey there we go....more blue collar bamboo rod enthusiasts! I like it!

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

I have my 7th coat of True Oil currently drying/hardening. I’ll then get everything buffed up and ready for the next phase.

crkennedy1
Sport

Post by crkennedy1 »

I am getting ready to wrap my rod, and I’m wondering if I should go with the traditional silk, or use one of these new synthetics. Once it is completed, my plan is to use it for fishing, so I really want something that will hold up.

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

Either type of thread should hold up fine, but I'd use silk for a restoration, and ideally, the original color(s) if you know what make/model the rod is.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

crkennedy1 wrote:
12/10/21 08:22
I am getting ready to wrap my rod, and I’m wondering if I should go with the traditional silk, or use one of these new synthetics. Once it is completed, my plan is to use it for fishing, so I really want something that will hold up.
silk with a couple of coats of good varnish is functionally indistinguishable from modern nylon, in some cases aesthetically better. Besides I like to know that I have a cane rod with silk wraps ;-)
It is a bear to work with, though, fine and easily fuzzed.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”