Straightening Impregnated rods

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Straightening Impregnated rods

Post by Caneghost »

My T&T Hendrickson 8' impregnated rod has rather instantly developed a bend between the winding check and stripper. Has anyone had experience straightening these impregnated rods? Being in the heavier portion of the rod I would expect more heat would be required to remove the bend and I am concerned that might not react well with the impregnated finish.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Straightening Impregnated rods

Post by Canewrap »

I would contact T&T and see if they can help. I have done a lot of rod repairs and something like that would give me pause. A butt section is hard to get a set out of. The area you are talking about doubly so, to point of improbable and who knows how much harder it will be with impregnation.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I tried that first and did not receive a response. Just tried again. I tried to take a photo to show the sweep it has developed. Cannot figure out how that happened. I fished the rod hard but take very careful care of it. Never put away wet, never left in a hot car, and it just seemed to happen.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

Send it to T&T. I suspect you have a delamination just under the grip, I had a similar bend at the ferrule of a two piece salmon rod. The delamination was under the ferrule.

Jerry

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”