9 wt double overhander?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Bugchucker
Sport

9 wt double overhander?

Post by Bugchucker »

I'll be taking a trip down south in a couple months for baby tarpon and wanted to make myself a 9 wt. I would also use this for tiger muskie in a local lake. My double haul is still in the early developing stage, and the idea of swinging a big 9 foot long bamboo rod hurts my shoulder just thinking of it. I can cast overhand with my graphite switch rods well using two hands and figured why not make my boo rod a two hander.
Any thoughts, positive or negative, would be appreciated. I'm final planing now. It's a three piece and I was going to simply make a three inch fighting butt instead of a my normal 1 1/2 inch fighting butt.
Thanks,
Mark

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 9 wt double overhander?

Post by oddsnrods »

My version of a Hardy Rogue River 'steelhead' rod has a longer handle.

The original rod was single handed 9 1/2' and originally a 6" screw-in lower handle was an 'extra'. I simply added 6" making the total length 10'. I can now use the rod single or double handed. I did stiffen under the handle with six strips of 1/16" bamboo strips glued the length of the handle, in effect double building. The resulting 7/8 wt rod is one of my favourites.

Malcolm

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Thanks for info. I’ll do something similar then.
BTW….is your reel screwed into the handle?
Mark

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I used a (tricky to fit) Hardy 'Universal' fitting.

Malcolm

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

I recently made a 9'6" steelhead rod using hardware from Matt @Proofflyfishing. The threaded insert allows for multiple butt options that may add some flexibility in your design...
Don

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Boise Bamboo wrote:
12/03/21 14:47
I recently made a 9'6" steelhead rod using hardware from Matt @Proofflyfishing. The threaded insert allows for multiple butt options that may add some flexibility in your design...
Don

Mind asking how did you fit the hardware to bamboo rod?

Matt's design has an "extension piece" which goes into the hollow graphite and glass blank for added strength. But with bamboo blank, being solid, I did wonder how do you fit them? Did you cut the "extension piece" off?

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... 8735468643

Thanks

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

kakaryan wrote:
12/04/21 23:53
Boise Bamboo wrote:
12/03/21 14:47
Don

Mind asking how did you fit the hardware to bamboo rod?

Matt's design has an "extension piece" which goes into the hollow graphite and glass blank for added strength. But with bamboo blank, being solid, I did wonder how do you fit them? Did you cut the "extension piece" off?

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... 8735468643

Thanks
I drilled the butt of the blank to accommodate the extension and epoxied in place. I was hesitant to shorten the blank or to cut off the extension piece for fear of compromising any strength. Ended up working out perfectly.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”