Favorite Reference Books?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

goflyfish

Post by goflyfish »

Which books would you all recommend for a beginner to bamboo rod making? II'd like to understand the tapering devices and maybe how to build one (tapering block) myself.

goflyfish

pvansch1
Administrator

Post by pvansch1 »

Online - Start here
Harry Boyd's Articles
Thomas Penrose

As far as books go, Wayne Cattanach's Book "Handcrafting Bamboo Fly Rods"
or
George Mauer's book "Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly-Rod".
Both great, either one will get you through the entire process.
Pete

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Favorite Reference Books?

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The link above to Harry Boyd's online rod building resource article is excellent. Check it for sure.

I too would recommend this book.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

"The Lovely Reed" by Jack Howell. The quality of the tapers he included is worth the price of the book itself, but his process description is very good as well.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Lee Koch wrote:
11/30/21 12:26
"The Lovely Reed" by Jack Howell. The quality of the tapers he included is worth the price of the book itself, but his process description is very good as well.
+1 !!

Anders Johannesson
Sport

Post by Anders Johannesson »

A masters guide to building a Bamboo fly rod.

By
Garrison
Carmichael

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I would agree all the books mentioned above are worth the reading. I learned from all of them.
Fred

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Lee Koch wrote:
11/30/21 12:26
+2. This is the clearest and easiest to assimilate.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Wayne's book was the most orderly for the way I learn. Harry's online tutorial was not around back when I initially got interested in building but it is very good as well. Howells' book is must have but- for me- he jumps around a bit and as far as learning the process it didn't "sing" to me until after I'd built a few rods. Now I love it and learn from it regularly. The tapers alone are worth the price of the book. The Garrison book is like starting off in calculus before taking algebra but, again, having now built some rods I understand where he's coming from. All of these sources, if followed, will get you where you want to go in rod building.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Hi,
The book on Garrison. Everyone else stood on his shoulders.
Most of us use his designs or equipment he suggested.
His tapers cast smooth.
Even his math is now incorporated into nearly all of the various rod resign programs.
And yes, I’ve own the others.

Don

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I used Maurer's book and a whole lot from here: https://www.bamboorodmaking.com/
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I learned on Garrison Carmichael. I had to read it three times but I've continued to reference it for the 25 years I've making rods.

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

While not my favorite reference book now, I would not have started this journey years ago without George Barnes' book, "How to Make Bamboo Fly Rods" This book was perfect for someone like me who had never even cast a bamboo fly rod in the 70's. After this,the Garrison Carmichael book came out and I was ready for it.

Willis

Anders Johannesson
Sport

There is a small book from Herter's that was published first time 1949. It can be found as used at a low cost. It's not the book for the one that only would like to one single book but I have found it interesting in some aspects.

title:

Professional glass and split bamboo rod building manual and manufacturers guide.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I have all of those mentioned and if I had to choose one to learn how to make a bamboo flyrod, it would be The Lovely Reed. I find the instructions are simply stated without the hyperbole that is sometimes found in the others.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Hoagy's book is what I used. Most of the later books used Hoagy's as a starting point and elaborated with success on various aspects clearing up some methods and improving some tooling, as well as a greater variety of tapers. I became interested in 1965 when 'McClanes Standard Fishing Encyclopedia' was published. Claude Kreider and Louis Feirabend wrote the chapter. Another book which does a really good job of laying out methods is 'The Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia.' Lew Stoner, in addition to Kreider and Feirabend wrote the rod building sections, with McClane as editor. Most of the other earlier books I have and used.

Jay Edwards

Anders Johannesson
Sport

The wise fishermans encyklopedia is a nice one!

In addition The technology of fly rods by Don Phillips is interesting in many ways. He was the man behind the boron rods.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Maurer's, Lovely Reed, and Cattanach's are the 3 I own. Additionally, I leaned on bamboorodmaking.com for specific issues along the way. I also found Harry Boyd's step by step outline of the building process to be the clearest, simplest guide that a beginner could find.

GrampaGrant

Re: Favorite Reference Books? A Master's Guide To Building A Bamboo Fly Rod

Post by GrampaGrant »

A Master's Guide To Building a Bamboo Fly Rod is now available for $1.99 in the Books App Book Store on all Apple devices. No? check for yourself.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Books on Rod Building? There are severaI, I recommend the Lovely Reed. These two vids will take you through what's available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlZ3iPWqDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEVHirG9G0
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”