How do you gauge tip top size?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Middle Branch
Master Guide

Post by Middle Branch »

I imagine there's several ways to do it, perhaps with a specialized feeler gauge or something. But is there a way I can do it with just a micrometer and perhaps a toothpick or something? How do the sizes (4,5,6 etc...) translate to thousands? I imagine it goes strictly by the the inside diameter of the tube, as they were made in varying thicknesses.
Thanks in advance.

rlnunleycom
Master Guide

Post by rlnunleycom »

Measure with a micrometer or caliper apex to apex if you do NOT want to remove material to make the tip top fit or flat to flat if you want to remove material for a good fit. Mulitply your measurement by 64. Tip tops sizes are in 64ths of an inch. So, you measure 0.070" flat to flat, then a proper tip top would be .070 * 64 = 4.48/64ths. Your closest size to this is going to be a 5/64ths so you just have to go from there. Personally, I don't like to remove cane or at most a very minimal amount of cane, so I go with the apex to apex measurement, go a size DOWN from my measurement and drill the tip top with the proper bit to get it as close as possible to fitting tight on the apex of the cane.

Either method works fine and either is acceptable... another one of those "more than one way to skin a cat" things. It just takes longer to skin a cat my way, that's all. Image

Bob

aparramoure
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aparramoure »

The inside of the tube in 64th of an inch.. so a 5/64 tip top would measure: 0.078125", if you were to carry out the math. 1/64 is 0.015625. Hope this helps.

Art

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

Rather than a toothpick use a drill bit. Find one that the non cutting end fits snugly in the barrel of the tiptop. Then you can use your micrometer to get the size in 64ths.
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

This little tool works beautifully. Goldenwitch sells this one, but other rod building supply places sell this exact item.

Tip Top Gauge

Harry

Middle Branch
Master Guide

Post by Middle Branch »

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll try it tonight.
Harry, that tool looks like it just measures the O.D. of a tiptop and not I.D. Or am I missing something?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

It measures both. The holes measure the tip itself. The little "bumps" for lack of a better term, fit inside various tiptops which correspond to the holes. They are numbered 3.5 - maybe 8 or 10. I rarely find the need for any tiptops larger than size 5.5

Harry

greendrake ll
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by greendrake ll »

They sell them quite regularly on yabE.The ones they sell are I think made by PacBay and they have the holes and bumps for ferrules as well as tip tops on the same gadget for less money than the ones GW sells. IIRC I paid either $6.95 or 8.95 and the postage was 1/2 what GW charges.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”