Making Wood rods

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Making Wood rods

Post by PaducahMichael »

I found a very interesting article about making wood rods - in fact, it's a pretty complete "how to" guide. I thought it was interesting partly because it discusses the various characteristics of some of the popular woods.

From Outing Magazine, Feb 1918:
Bethabara is commonly considered to head the list of desirable woods, with greenheart a close second, and lancewood as the third choice. Bethabara makes a fine rod, but is a hard, gummy wood, difficult to work, and is prone to warp in the process of manufacture. Greenheart is about the equal of bethabara in strength and elasticity, is a bit easier to work, but very straight grain and first quality stock is very hard to get. The Image [Stillman Taylor] has tried out all available materials, to discover that dagama or washaba is, for many reasons, the best choice of the amateur rod maker. This wood is very strong, very elastic, of medium weight, and having a straight grain, quite clear of knots, it is easily worked, and does not warp very much; moreover select quality stock is easily procured at a reasonable price. Lancewood is satisfactory, especially for rods of large caliber, but it is a softer wood, full of knots, and as it costs about the same, dagama is the better selection."
This is probably the most helpful and thorough discussion I've come across regarding the merits of the various woods used for rod making. Just thought some of you who collect old wood rods might find it interesting. I doubt anyone besides Gnome is working with wood all that much....

If anyone would like a copy of the article, let me know - it's pretty interesting.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

Westerner
Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by Westerner »

Have you seen the book by John Betts? Strip-built wood rods or similar wording. Frank Amato was promoting the book and the rods last year in his magazine Flyfishing & Tying Journal (based in Portland).

Richard

drbaits
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by drbaits »

John's book is excellent and done in a very unusual style of penmanship and pen and ink art. He shows several jigs and approaches that have helped my efforts. Here is my most recent rod...a 4-strip 8ft 3/2 pau ferro rod, with poplar handle and cocobolo reel seat. the ferrules were fashion from nested tubular brass with a bit of soldering and snake guides from brass wire. Wraps??...getting better....finish?? ...still a work in progress.
Willingness to change one's mind is not a character flaw!

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Making Wood rods

Post by PaducahMichael »

That's pretty wood - where did you find it? I'm toying with the idea of making a wood rod and I can't find Greenheart, Dagama, Lancewood or any of the classic woods.

Keep at it - that's a fine effort you've got there!
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

drbaits
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by drbaits »

thanks much, PM...you don't see a lot of this south american 'ironwood', but I have been luck enough to find good stock at a couple local exotic hardwood dealers here in San Diego. I have also been fortunate enough to have a fellow collector mail me a bunch of Greenheart that was cut from pilings off a dock in Philadelphia....I haven't tried to work it yet, but John Betts was pessimistic about its properties, given it's life in the water...I'll report in. Lancewood has been from old salvaged rods, so haven't tried the 4-strip method with that one. Hickory works very well, as does ash...certainly worth doing initial efforts with the latter domestics, since they are readily available and "legal" for making old-style wood rods.

Whitefish Press
Owner

Making Wood rods

Post by Whitefish Press »

John,

Well, is that rod almost ready for a test drive??? I'm dying to see what the pau ferro rod feels like. Next time you're out here we'll have to take it for a test drive...

-- Dr. Todd

brendantm130

Making Wood rods

Post by brendantm130 »

Have you tried Ipe. I use a lot of it building decks. It is very dense and easy to find straight grained boards. Also, what about Yew? I have some that I'm seasoning that I was going to make some landing nets out of.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Making Wood rods

Post by Gnome »

Purple heart is another wood for strip built rods and it is gorgeous.

Jeff

P.S. See the list of woods in HP Wells book Fly Rods and Fly Tackle published in 1885

drbaits
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by drbaits »

Yes, purple heart is a neat wood and I know Betts has used it....haven't tried as yet. Tom Kerr was the collector that kindly donated the greenheart....if you're out there, Tom, thanks again and it has moved to the front of the line! If anyone has found a source of lancewood other than old rods, as Jeff K. has graciously provided, pls let me know. Another wood I'm tempted to try is osage orange (I think I just heard my lathe tools groan from the garage:eek)

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Making Wood rods

Post by Gnome »

drbaits,

Try a search for yellow heart as a substitute for lancewood ;-)

Jeff

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by tkerr7735 »

One good source for these exotics is http://www.exoticwoodsoftheworld.com/ . I know that Jeff H. and I have bought from Justin Holden on many occasions. Most of the woods in my new house came from Justin's place in Memphis. He also sells on eBay as exoticwoods2000 . Has everything mentioned above except greenheart, unless it has another name as well. --Tom

drbaits
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by drbaits »

ah, Tom...I see you're out there! i'll have to chase that site....and Jeff...yellow heart?...maybe I should use some to the 8 bd ft of it I have in the garage:o...I had not made that connection!...i guess it must fade alot over time...the yellowheart I have finishes much more yellow than the assorted pieces of lancewood that I've had thru the garage!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Making Wood rods

Post by Gnome »

I must have gotten lucky as the piece I have is very pale and an extremely close match for lancewood. ;-)

Jeff

caddisman3
Master Guide

Making Wood rods

Post by caddisman3 »

Seems like wax wood would be awsome for a wood fly rod,mostly used in martial arts fighting sticks it is pretty tough and very flexible stands up well to abuse,someone should try some in a fly rod.
Karl

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”