Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Made a new rod lately version 1.2

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I love that turquois Daniel!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

My latest

Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Lee, nice job on the 4wt. I especially like to see your rattan handle on this one. Makes a great statement on the rod overall... Thanks for sharing!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Thank you
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nice job. I like the bag labeling as well.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Waayyy back in the 90s, I had a nice 7'6" 4wt FE Thomas Special in my meagre collection. Fished that rod the summer of '94-'94 in Aspen during the music festival summers (ahhh...). I sold it when I tooled up to start making my own bamboo blanks, but always wistfully remembered "our" time together. Luckily, I had enough sense to try and measure the thing before I shipped it of to Bob Corsetti (i think). After gaining experience making rods, I disappointedly thought the numbers looked pretty whacky, so I never tried them in a blank. I recently saw a nice Thomas 7 footer in Southcreek Ltd's for sale page that pulled at my heart unusually hard. I love the look of that rod and decided to use those aesthetics (very similar to my rod) and apply my experience in tapers over the past 24 years to make the numbers make sense. I figured I may have measured over a drip or something in a few places, so I tweaked only a few stations by a few thou and it looked worth trying. Using all modern hardware, this is the result. It certainly feels like my old FET; admittedly with some 25 years in between casts. A old-fashioned, mellow action with a sure-footed tip and laid back speed. Not like a Payne 100, but like a longer Thomas. Should be a splendid rod for evenings in The Driftless:
ImageIMG_2008 by Robert Hoffhines, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2009 by Robert Hoffhines, on Flickr

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Very nice Robert. A rod from your shop has always been on my bucket list.....
Last edited by kermit on 02/15/20 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Those signature and ferrule wraps are a fine homage to FET as well. Very nice, Robert!

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Fresh off the bench. My rendition of the HI Tonka Queen.

Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Lovely photos, Kermit.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Nice clean work there, Kermit! Like the overall look, the colors are pleasing.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Kermit, your offerings are always fabulously photographed. Stunning!

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Kermit, the cane work looks great and I really like the classic wrap color combination. Now you just have to let us know how it casts.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Finished this rod recently. It's Dennis Stone's blank based on Payne 100 taper. Very well made, very accurate. I finished the blank with gorilla glue. I think that will be hard to go back to varnish! I make a varnished rod every once in a while and every time I only see how thick the layer of varnish is compared to polyurethane glue... ;)
r :)

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Feel the same way but personally prefer an oil finish - this is my latest - has an acrylic enamel undercoat - very little to no glare

reiger68

Post by reiger68 »

jan96 wrote:Finished this rod recently. It's Dennis Stone's blank based on Payne 100 taper. Very well made, very accurate. I finished the blank with gorilla glue. I think that will be hard to go back to varnish! I make a varnished rod every once in a while and every time I only see how thick the layer of varnish is compared to polyurethane glue... ;)
Hi jan96,
Beautiful rod! Nice finish, I’ve just finished my first two rods ever . I’ve used gorilla glue.Had the problem that by buffing the glue the writing Image
disappeared. And I tried different waterproof markers. Do you have any advice?
Btw the rods are based on Leonard babycatskill 7ft 2wt. One = 2pc with nickel silver ferrules and the other is a 3pc with bamboo ferrules.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

reiger68

Post by reiger68 »

reiger68 wrote:
jan96 wrote:Finished this rod recently. It's Dennis Stone's blank based on Payne 100 taper. Very well made, very accurate. I finished the blank with gorilla glue. I think that will be hard to go back to varnish! I make a varnished rod every once in a while and every time I only see how thick the layer of varnish is compared to polyurethane glue... ;)
Hi jan96,
Beautiful rod! Nice finish, I’ve just finished my first two rods ever . I’ve used gorilla glue.Had the problem that by buffing the glue the writing Image
Btw the rods are based on Leonard babycatskill 7ft 2wt. One = 2pc with nickel silver ferrules and the other is a 3pc with bamboo ferrules.

And one extra fotoImage

Dave in Maine
Guide

Post by Dave in Maine »

Beautiful rod.
Could you please explain the concept and process for using Gorilla Glue instead of varnish for the finish?
I'll be building out a Dennis Stone blank sometime this year (based on a Leonard Hunt, 6' 3/2 suited for travel) and would like to consider something other than varnish.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Dave in Maine wrote:Beautiful rod.
Could you please explain the concept and process for using Gorilla Glue instead of varnish for the finish?
I'll be building out a Dennis Stone blank sometime this year (based on a Leonard Hunt, 6' 3/2 suited for travel) and would like to consider something other than varnish.
It's Tim Anderson's idea to use Gorilla glue as a finish... He's on this board

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

reiger68 wrote:
]
Hi jan96,

Nice rods!! Why did you decide to make such light rods?

I apply three coats of glue, with a very fine sandpaper sand the area where I intend to write and do the inscriptions with Rotring Rapidograph 0.3mm. Then I apply another 15-20 coats of glue. So the ink is secured in the glue layers..

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”