Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Made a new rod lately version 1.2

Post by henkverhaar »

Don’t use waterproof marker - use black India ink or a rotring drafting pen. And write on top of the PU finish. I seal the writing with spar varnish, at the same time as varnishing the wraps. Or put the writing under white silk wraps that you soak with heavily thinned varnish, to get a transparent wrap - I do that with the ‘scrim’ wrap on the female bamboo ferrule (tip section) where I put the rod’s serial number under that wrap. If I do things right and the wrap truly turns out transparent, the writing underneath is as legible as if the wraps weren’t there.
Last edited by henkverhaar on 03/27/20 01:13, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Dave in Maine wrote:Beautiful rod.
Could you please explain the concept and process for using Gorilla Glue instead of varnish for the finish?
Proof Fly Fishing has included my 2010 article on finishing with Gorilla Glue in the tutorials (https://www.proofflyfishing.com/pages/tutorials). I still do pretty much the same as in the article.

As for the problem of rod signatures polishing off, I have suggested in the past that ZIG Millennium pens are good because the pigmented ink does not stand proud of the surface after drying (it must dry thoroughly). In other words it does not make a raised bump so, when overcoated, does not polish off so easily.

I avoid the problem on my own rods by scrimshawing the signature in. Ink in the scrimshaw scratches and sealed in with Gorilla Glue. A nuisance, but, hey, I do this for fun.

Tim

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Quick & Simple "C virus era" build. 7'#4 Granger - Wright McGill, taper from "The Lovely Reed". I used white wood glue - "Pattex D3 waterproof" because I didn't have on hand my usual UHU epoxy. All the stores that carries it are closed here because of the "virus" so I used "Pattex" which I borrowed from my daughter. She (fortunately) uses this kind of glue in her school... :) Blank is darkened with "potassium permanganate". "Step down" nickel silver ferrules, blued and wrapped with grey silk. Snake guides are homemade from stainless steel wire 0.7mm, darkened with flame. Rod is protected with 15 layers of Bison polyurethane glue, only the wraps and the area where the inscriptions are are varnished with varnish for wooden boats. Still to polish a bit, but I have to wait for a couple of weeks to do this. Weight of the finished rod is 88grams. Action is as expected a "tippy" one, quite fast. I did not tried the rod yet but I think it would cast good also with a lighter line.. #3 or maybe even with #2DT...
Just to mention,...referring to the thread how long does it take to build a rod... I started building this rod eight days ago and finished it yesterday. So, seven days....more or less. Ok, when I started with this project I had already split strips available, ferrules and reel seat hardware I made previously and I had plenty of time - I'm stuck at home because of the C virus quarantine.. ;)
r :)

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Very nice, thank you for sharing it. I particularly like an all cork grip and reel seat on a light rod. You seem to have used an English twist for the snake guides.

Do you make the butt cap from sheet or is turned out of solid rod and then formed please?

Paul.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Beautiful work !

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Beautiful, Jan! I, too, especially like the cork grip and reel seat.

You must, however, have to use a reel with a very slim foot profile. What reel do you plan to use with it?

johnr
Sport

Post by johnr »

Thank you for posting the graph for this rod
Are you using excel for your graphing?

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Nice work, I really like the muted color of the wraps with the dark cane.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Godfroy wrote:Very nice, thank you for sharing it. I particularly like an all cork grip and reel seat on a light rod. You seem to have used an English twist for the snake guides.

Do you make the butt cap from sheet or is turned out of solid rod and then formed please?

Paul.
Thank you Paul :) When twisting the wire for me is more natural to twist in right direction. Butt cup is turned from the solid stainless steel rod and then formed with a tool in a mold..

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

headwaters wrote:Beautiful, Jan! I, too, especially like the cork grip and reel seat.

You must, however, have to use a reel with a very slim foot profile. What reel do you plan to use with it?
Thank you, you're right I should sand the cork a bit more.... The internal diameter of the ring is 19.5mm and the diameter of the cork is 18.0mm.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

johnr wrote:Thank you for posting the graph for this rod
Are you using excel for your graphing?
You're welcome. Yes, it's excel graph. I use graphs like this for all the tapers I have. For me helps to evaluate how the certain taper/rod will perform..

AlexX!!
Sport

Post by AlexX!! »

hi jan

as usual
very beautiful rod.. no more words needed :)

cheers

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

AlexX!! wrote:hi jan

as usual
very beautiful rod.. no more words needed :)

cheers
Thank You very much Alex :)

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

Very gorgeous work Jan.
I agree with Eastslopes, the cane color and wrap colour combination are very tastefully chosen. I REALLY like the varnish work in the wraps. The crisp tiny line of varnish transition on the guide side of your wraps is excellent and quite desirable to me. Thank you for sharing.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

8' hollow built, splice joint 4wt...mirror matched tips

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Nice rod Munsey! :) But "spliced joint".... Can you please show as how the rod looks assembled? I'm convincing myself for some years now to build a rod with that joint system but... ok, We'll see...one day,...maybe! ;) Or maybe not...
Years ago while fishing the Soca river, here in Slovenia one of my friends used a two piece rod with spliced joint.. It was James' Reid rod, beautiful eight feet, four weight and had beautiful action.. But... "that area" where sections were taped together, simply..., to be honest - I did not like it because it was - ugly! Sorry to say that...
Last edited by jan96 on 04/14/20 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Radivoj- When I used hockey tape for joining the sections, it was ugly...I found a new, narrow electrical tape with nice stretch to it that makes the joint almost unnoticeable! That rod has gone on to its new owner..

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

munsey w wrote:Radivoj- When I used hockey tape for joining the sections, it was ugly...I found a new, narrow electrical tape with nice stretch to it that makes the joint almost unnoticeable! That rod has gone on to its new owner..
Thank you Munsey :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Finished not so long ago... 7'2''#4 "Onepiece".. :)

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Here is one I am just finishing.

8' 2/2 Hollow Hex 3 weight rod with my first ventilated grip to accentuate the parabolic action. This is a true 3 weight and I think I could fish a heavy 2 wt on it. Need to put it on a scale, but definitely less than 3 oz.

Can't wait to get it on local spring creeks.

Bill

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”