Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

hookjaw23
Guide

Re: Made a new rod lately version 1.2

Post by hookjaw23 »

All this time inside has me doing a few projects I've been kicking around. I haven't fully built a bamboo rod for nearly a decade due to building glass rods but I have a handful of rods I built in the early 2000s that either had an issue (popped ferrules) or just weren't up to my standard of finish. The blanks were well made but I felt they needed some attention.

First is a Payne 204 taper... built this rod prior to a trip to MT. I rushed the finishing and the spar looked terrible. There is a second tip, but i shattered it while building so it's about 1.5" short (and wasn't worthy of a redo but will work in a pinch). The rod fished beautifully in MT and on a few trips to the WB of the Del but it's sat in it's tube for probably 12-13 years. I stripped to a bare blank and rebuilt as a new rod. I'm a huge fan of the bi-metal look so the reel seat I machined includes this detail. The reel that will be used is a bi-metal 301B from Kineya in Japan.

The second is a Dickerson 7012 taper and probably my fav rod ever. It's been fished a lot and has acquired an awesome patina that I tried saving as much as possible. It needed a new seat spacer (PA cherry burl) due to some swelling and me wanting to use another favorite reel on this rod (Kineya 301A). I'm thrilled to get these two rods back on the water and may just refinish a few others bc these have been enjoyable projects w/o going full-bore back into building bamboo.

Matt Leiderman
@leidermanrods

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice refinishing Matt!
Great to see you doing some bamboo work too

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Nice work Matt. Love the hardware with the Kineya reel. Given how you concentrate on glass rods, what method did you use for varnishing these 2 cane rods? Dip, Drip, Brush?

Cheers,
Ron

hookjaw23
Guide

Post by hookjaw23 »

Thanks guys.

I've used them all in the past. I didn't really want to dive into building a dip tank or anything I remembered my very first rods were done using a turkey baster... so I cleared out a tall cabinet I had in the basement, added a halogen light to throw some heat, and went to work. The results are shockingly good... no imperfections due to runs, etc... just a few tiny dust particles. I've found this works best by using a poly finish b/c it has a lower viscosity and hanging sections thin end up (except butt of course) so the varnish flows off the thinner blank sections quickly leaving a thinner finish buildup...

I will do 2 coats prior to wrapping w/ sanding in between to level things off. Wrap and finish guides to about 80% build... then 1 more coat... wet sand the blank and guide wraps w/ 1500 grit... then final coat and cross fingers it come out well.

Also, I use semi-gloss... i like a more subdued finish and since I rub out my bamboo rods w/ oil and rottenstone, no point in starting w/ a high gloss finish.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Well they look great Matt. Thanks for that explanation. Happy fishing with them.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Photos of the non-impregnated Battenkill recently discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=126568
Don

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

5’, 4 weight, one piece. Darryl Hayashida taper

Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

dbeerbower
Guide

Post by dbeerbower »

I made a 7’6” Perfectionist for my son-in-law. He is a Virginia Tech grad, so I used maroon silk for the wraps with orange tipping. I also had my hardware supplier etch the Tech logo into the butt cap and stain the Burled maple insert. I hope the pictures adequately show the details. I am pretty pleased with how it came out and can’t wait to see his face when I give it to him.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

dbeerbower,
That is going to be a spectacular and treasured family heirloom. Well done!
Don

dbeerbower
Guide

Post by dbeerbower »

Thanks Don. After I gave him the rod, we went fishing here in western NC. He had a fish in before I even got in the water. He says he will never go back to his old rod. Ha!
Dave

stoneflyer
Master Guide

Post by stoneflyer »

Very nice rods posted so far in 2020!

My contribution this year was lighter line dark flammed rods. I also started to make the guides and am finally making all the components for my rods. This rod is a 7'9" 3/4wt quad.

ImageUntitled by adam chow, on Flickr

The rod sports old 1920-30s Corticelli silk, before the Belding company amalgamation

I wanted to push the milling machine and the tip has a dimension of 0.050". It is pictured here with a .039" pin drill bit

It has my signature reel seat obviously inspired by Bill Edwards and Sam Carlson

Stay healthy and happy,
Adam

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Just finished a 7' 4 weight quad. Has been a few years since I have made a quad so was enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

BODEAU
Sport

Post by BODEAU »

Hello
here are my last two rods

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Truly amazing work guys!

Wurmbunt
Sport

Post by Wurmbunt »

Hello,
very fine rods here!
Made a new rod 3 years ago, but i joined the Form lately - i hope it is o.k. to show the stick here.
It is based on a Garrison 201E taper with a swelled butt sektion, build by inserting extra stripes of black palmira - so the hexagonal blank went to a 12 surface shape.
Never made a new rod since this one is completed - it just workes perfectly for me!

Kind regards,
Andi

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Beautiful, and the stripper guide is amazing. Where did you get it?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Wurmbunt
Sport

Post by Wurmbunt »

Hello and thank you for your interest samsonboi!
The stripper guide is made by myself - it tooks me plenty of hours cutting the argate and polish it to a proper shape! So i wanted a frame, wich is individual - i really like fishing with dryflies, so a Frame, which looks like a mayfly was my aim.
Everything on this rod is made by myself - except the snakeguides, because they are made of "titanflex" - light and durable, but terrible to handle!
Kind regards,
Andi

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

Made a sweet little 6’ 3wt, modifying a Constable Wisp taper. I’ll fish her with a Hardy made for Abercrombie & Fitch during my birth year (1964).

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i have got together w/ jrmrods and had him make up fiberglass spigot ferrules to fit one of my favorite tapers .The kiley Granger. i made an adjustment to the 7ft 3/2 rod by extending it to a 7ft 2 in. . the hollow built finished ferruled rod blank rod weight is 2 oz. the 2 ferrule sets were 7 grams thats right 1/4 oz. for two sets. it casts wonderfully , being lighter in the tip as its shorter cousin w/ traditional ferrules heres three photos

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Dennis, what does the ferrule station look like assembled?

-Bill

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”