Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Re: Made a new rod lately version 1.2

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Well done, dchurch. Thanks for sharing!

dchurch56
Sport

Post by dchurch56 »

Thanks Mike, I love the wealth of information on Youtube. There are a lot of rod making videos out there but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another to the mix.

dchurch56
Sport

Post by dchurch56 »

Thanks Boise, This forum is so inspirational.

brendantm
Sport

Post by brendantm »

I enjoyed the video as well. Thanks

BambooBoy
Guide

Post by BambooBoy »

Bill T wrote:Just finished a little 7 footer for small spring creeks in the driftless.

Bill
Bill, I'd like to get a closer up view of those guide and signature wraps. Are those white/silver wraps tipped with red? Nice job on that rod.

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Dave, very nice video! One thing that caught my eye was the "binder" you used and more than likely made.....so simple yet appears to work so well! I have built two or three Garrison types, that don't seem to work nearly as nicely as your design does....could you share some more photos of it and some specifics on it. Noticed the Crescent wrench hanging below the pulley....is that your method of tension on the drive cord? Looks like you use a very thin string for your drive cord?
Thanks so much!
Steve

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Enourage looking up the binder as envisioned by Robert Crompton. Weight is on the pulley, not hanging off the string.

See here: viewtopic.php?p=48499#p48499

You might get some additional ideas.
Last edited by cdmoore on 10/04/19 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

dchurch56
Sport

Post by dchurch56 »

Thanks Steve,
After looking at similar designs I went to work. I did learn that something like heavy weight braided fishing worked well for this, especially for tip sections. Yes, the wrench is weight for tension. A hook is attached to the pulley axle. The wrench (or weight) is hung from the hook.

Here's a video I did about making the binder: https://youtu.be/Yhc5R3owUDU

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Dave, thanks so much, great video. I'm going to build one just to do it!
Steve

dchurch56
Sport

Post by dchurch56 »

That's great Steve,
You may want to consider using a larger diameter pulley, like an 8". I considered making one on the lathe, which would also allow for a nice custom groove for the drive string to ride in. I think the larger diameter would result in a better crank stroke. The operation causes a tendency to lift during part of the cranking action.

Ideally a variable speed motor would drive the pulley using a foot controller. That would prevent the lift error and also fee up both hands.

But this simple binder worked fine for me as is with just a little practice, plus finding a good string tension and pulley weight. I like that it's simple and compact.

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Dave, I have a fairly heavy 6" pulley that came off of my lawnmower deck that the bearing is shot in for using on the mower, but will be fine for this application. I the guy who doesn't throw anything away that might be useful someday. lol....will not get much done this week, and SRG is the week after....but I'm gonna build one....then I'll have three binders!
Steve

ps....I love to build tools!

dchurch56
Sport

Post by dchurch56 »

Perfect Steve,
ditto
Here's one of my all time favorites:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobgT6Lkpgg&t=62s

ddray
Sport

Post by ddray »

Here are a couple of recent builds ready to leave the shop (garage) for the upcoming holidays.

(1) 7'~6" 5wt, lightly flamed, two-piece, one tip, hollow built butt section with uplocking rosewood burl insert, dressed in antique gold and tipped with red brick trim wraps.

(2) Same as above, except in a 7' configuration.

Once again, these are staying within the family.
Thanks for looking,
Hobby builder from SoCal,
Darrin

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

This is my first build. It’s a 7’ 9” 2/1. Made from taper numbers for a PHY parabolic 14. It has taken me over three years from start to finish due to life... but I wouldn’t have done it any differently. It has only come to fruition due to the help from many board members. I would like to thank this whole group of fine people which make up this forum for your time, knowledge and encouragement. Without you all, I never would have been able to accomplish this final product. I can’t put into words my gratitude.

There are a few mistakes that I’m sure you all will notice. I learned so much from this experience that will make the next one better.

I hope you enjoy the not professional pictures.

Mike
Last edited by PlaneOldMike on 03/06/20 13:50, edited 2 times in total.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

mwfick
Guide

Post by mwfick »

Looks great to me !
Enjoy it! I am just starting to get accustomed to my first rod abomination and even though it's not even close to as nice as yours, I am in love with it :)
Cheers
Mike

just
Sport

Post by just »

Great work Mike! May you build many more!

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

Thanks for the nice comments. Much appreciated. I’m almost done final planing #2 already.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Great build Mike! :) Can't believe that's your first!? You're talking about mistakes... I can not see any! Maybe just one notice, the first snake on the tip is positioned too far from the ferrule. You may add an additional snake near the ferrule..
r :)

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

The first rod is always special. Years from now—when you are an expert builder—this rod will still be your first! Hopefully it fishes well, and you can fish with it for the rest of your life.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

From the creative minds at Zia~Rods. Two new commissions, in the Southwest style of Gold, Silver and Turquoise.

Last edited by kermit on 12/09/19 16:06, edited 7 times in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”