Baginski Beveler completed

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Richard Essegian
Master Guide

Baginski Beveler completed

Post by Richard Essegian »

With all the discussion on bevelers I decided that the Baginski Beveler would be the way to go. Since Im a hobbyist the cost of a beveler was a major deciding factor. The other deciding factor was the ease of merely running a strip through a few times and having both sides of the strip beveled at the same time. After much discussion with Mike Monsos along with the purchase of his wheels the contraption was put together. Not pretty by any means but cobbled together with junk wood laying around the garage and a few nuts, bolts, washers and wood screws. I did purchase a new grinder on the cheap along with some plexi glass for the enclosure. Believe me, you want the enclosure! While running test strips through prior to boxing it in I think I had a 2/2 rod caked in my nose! The other warning, make sure you have a hold of the strip while feeding. I thought I did and had a strip shoot from the in feed side and richochet off all corners of the garage. Funny but not so funny!

I also had a few conversations with Mike McGuire about his dimensions and his response was just cobble one together. So I did just that and things came out functional with some serious time saving on roughing strips. A few of the observations with using it came about while testing it. I ran strips with and with out prep work done to them. Obviously the strips with the prep work ran through much better. But it doesn't take much initial node smashing and straightening to get them through the machine with a desirable 60 degree groove. In fact probably just a sanding of the nodes and taking out some of the severe kinks was satisfactory for me. The strip sizes I was running through were around a 1/4" +/-. But Im sure it could handle some bigger sizes with the addition of another washer to space the wheels as mentioned by Mike McGuire.

Below are pictures of the beveler. As anything home built, tinkering and adjusting is always the case. It probably took me a couple weeks at the most to get things where I like them.

Thanks Mike, Mike and Tim Anderson for the responses to previous threads regarding the Baginski Beveler. You guys were a great help!

Richard

after an initial pass

after the second pass for some clean up

A roughed 2 piece rod ready for some node work using Mike Monsos' node pressing blocks.

The beveler
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Baginski Beveler completed

Post by CDCdun »

Great job! I need to make one of those. Everytime I go to make a rod, I get hung up on the roughing part. Definately my least favorite part.

Jake

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

Congratulations--looks like you have got yourself a pretty workable piece of gear. Now go make a bunch of rods and get good at it.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

2BeadPupa
Sport

Post by 2BeadPupa »

Thanks for posting ! I was following your first thread and am glad to see it has worked out for you. Now I've got to get my rear in gear and make one.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Terrific! You've shown very well that fancy construction is not necessary to get well-roughed strips. Mike Monsos deserves a great deal of thanks for making and selling the wheels, which are the absolute heart of the Baginski beveler.

Tim

Richard Essegian
Master Guide

Thanks guys!

Along with the wheels I bought some of his node pressig blocks. They are an absolute gem for nodes. Thought I would write this as I'm smelling my cane cook!

Thanks again
Richard

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Great work there Richard! Very nice.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Great job Richard! Sounds like your back on track and moving on..build the Barch 88 taper it will make you happy :D

Munsey

flyman219
Guide

Post by flyman219 »

Nice job Richard! It's nice that you have taken the time to post that making a Baginski Beveller is somewhat fun, simple and a good way to use up some of those wood scraps hanging out in the shop from past projects. I'm glad you like the V-Blocks, I think they are a perfect compliment to the Baginski making the prep work much easier.

Thanks for the kind words about the wheels Tim.

Mike

ddray
Sport

Post by ddray »

Looking good, thanks for sharing..

Richard Essegian
Master Guide

munsey w wrote:Great job Richard! Sounds like your back on track and moving on..build the Barch 88 taper it will make you happy :D

Munsey
I here ya about the "88" and its on the to do list. Now I have 3 rods to make for some friends and then hopefully will have time this winter.
flyman219 wrote:Nice job Richard! It's nice that you have taken the time to post that making a Baginski Beveller is somewhat fun, simple and a good way to use up some of those wood scraps hanging out in the shop from past projects. I'm glad you like the V-Blocks, I think they are a perfect compliment to the Baginski making the prep work much easier.

Thanks for the kind words about the wheels Tim.

Mike
Mike,

Sent you an email about the blocks. And yes the blocks and the beveler make the initial prep work of building a rod that much better. Ive started planing strips for a Garrison 212. I cant believe how nice it is to start on strips with a great 60 degree on them. I keep thinking to my self while planing the butt sections out, "I would still be roughing strips"! I kinda shunned the thought of going out into the garage to do that. Not any more!

Thanks again,
Richard

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”