Depth gauge reading help

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Depth gauge reading help

Post by oldschoolcane »

I am a little confused by my depth indicator, its a Mitutoyo No. 2904S 0-1" , but when I try to calibrate it with my standard of .150 its setting is too high in the base to work? I can't tighten the set screw because the base collar is now setting to high? What am I doing wrong here as when I try to calibrate it to.150 this causes it to slide out of reach of the set screw when I try to reach the standard reading? I have tried another standard also but have the same problem? I am trying to determine whats wrong with this process, could it be the base that I am using?
Last edited by oldschoolcane on 12/30/20 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Ron Hock makes an interesting argument about the perfect edge. It's impossible to achieve because there will always be radius, miniscule maybe, at the edge. I think the same applies to miking strips and not having them agree with the number the form was set to. If you can't get a perfect 0 radius on plane irons you can't get them on bamboo strips.
That aside, here is my Starrett 642 back plunger gauge that allows me to read it without craning my neck

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Sweet gauge. I use a handmill for the most part or I would get one. Bit of pricey bit of kit, but I'll bet it's extremely accurate.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”