The real Mike Brooks, please stand up.

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

BevoAngler

The real Mike Brooks, please stand up.

Post by BevoAngler »

Hello everyone,

As an avid fly fisherman for decades, I've had the pleasure of purchasing a used Mike Brooks Permacane 145 bamboo rod. It's been a great stick, traveled all over the place and caught a variety of fish with it. Recently, it broke, snapped in half and now I'm in search of the maker. Is he still around and does he do repair work? I bought the rod used and would simply like to get it repaired. Any leads or info of Mike Brooks or a reputable bamboo repair/restoration fella familiar with this Permacane 145 would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I'm not a bamboo rod maker.

Thanks in advance for any help.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The real Mike Brooks, please stand up.

Post by canerodscom »

He's available here once in awhile. I think he can be reached via PM at mbrooks. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BevoAngler

Post by BevoAngler »

canerodscom wrote:He's available here once in awhile. I think he can be reached via PM at mbrooks. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thank you canerodscom, I saw a mvbrooks in the member's list. Could that be him? :)

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Yes. That's him.

BevoAngler

Post by BevoAngler »

canerodscom wrote:Yes. That's him.

Ok, PM was sent and hope I get a reply. Thank you so much for helping!

BevoAngler

Post by BevoAngler »

So much good memories with this rod, can't just throw it away now!

Thanks for understanding!
:D

mvbrooks
Master Guide

Post by mvbrooks »

I sent you a PM. I have been taking care of my father, who is in hospice up in Everrett, WA. I end up spending five days a week here, so I have sort of dropped out of sight. The answer is, "yes" I can fix your rod and build rods, still. I've just been really slow, lately. If you can put up with my chaotic schedule, I would love to work with you. Dad's heart is failing and it's down to 20% efficiency and he's declining rapidly. So, I may have a lot of time soon.

BevoAngler

Post by BevoAngler »

Thank you Mr. Brooks. I'm so terribly sorry to read about your father. I can understand and wish you, your family to cherish the limited time left. That's the first priority here. I appreciate your quick response and willingness to help. It would be an honor to have you the creator make this once great fishing tool serviceable once more. It's meant to be fished and that's what I will continue to do once it's fixed. I'm going to send you some pictures of the damaged rod and hopefully that will help you later with repair preparation. PM forthcoming.

Again, take care of your family. Best regards sir.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Wow. A drama plays out before us. Behind it all is the flame of great craftsmanship. Enough to make you stop and think, and think. No small actors in this story.

Nympher1
Master Guide

Post by Nympher1 »

Amen to that!

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Mike;
We're all praying for you and your dad... hopefully things will even out and you can get back to your rod making... I'm still fishing and enjoying all those rods of yours. Peace my friend.

Ralph

BevoAngler

Post by BevoAngler »

czkid wrote:Mike;
We're all praying for you and your dad... hopefully things will even out and you can get back to your rod making... I'm still fishing and enjoying all those rods of yours. Peace my friend.

Ralph
Yes, best regards. Missing mine.
:'(

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”