Horrocks-Ibbotson Registered Rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Horrocks-Ibbotson Registered Rods

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I've seen some Horrocks-Ibbotson rods marked as "Registered", followed by a number like No. 109-12 or No. 142. What does this mean? Did HI just record the original purchaser of the rod? Or does it mean something else?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Horrocks-Ibbotson Registered Rods

Post by wrong66 »

It was more of a promotional gimmick than anything else, to make you feel like you were buying something special.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks for the info. wrong66. Wonder if anyone has access to the ownership records?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

They no longer exist, if they really ever did.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I have an HI Registered HI Test. There is no tag, no registration form, no address or phone. I mean there isn't even an email address!

Jay Edwards

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

The Hi Test is supposed to be their highest quality rod. Can you tell any difference between it and lower end HI rods?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, The rod is a 9', 3pc. The tips have 6 guide, the mid 5 guides, a stripper on the butt, chrome rolled welt ferrules, western grip, green reel seat, red wrap/black accents. It says 'Old HI Hitest' and 'Registered No. 1590.' It has almost zero wear on the bronzed standup guides that I would love to rip off for some other project, but....... It's a good rod, but not really much better than other HI's I've seen.

Jay Edwards

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

Just saw this discussion. I just picked up one of these, a 9', 3/2pc that appears to be un-fished with the plastic "Registered" wrap still on the grip. Wrong66, thanks for posting the catalog listing, seems like older discussions about the Old Hitest rods suggested the the red with black tipping versions may have been re=wraps of gold with black tipping early 1950's models. I'm convinced the wraps on mineare original, after repairning a couple of original wraps. What year is the catalog listing for the Old Hitest you posted here from? I'm guessing 1953.....?

Jimmymac

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I live 19 miles from the defunct H-I factory. I believe the Chancellor was the high end. There were special order rods that were made per order and the cane and components were on par with some of the best rods being produced. How is it that the Tonka Queen is considered as one of the finest tapers?
The fact that the boatloads of low end rods for the common stiff were produced put H-I in a bad light but they were capable of producing a fine rod.
My Canada Creek is a fine 8' 3/2 - impregnated and medium fast with the correct amount of guides and a nice grade grip and the cheesy tenite (plastic) reel seat with chrome plated hardware. Ferrules aren't top shelf but up to task. The rod fishes and casts as nice as needed to enjoy a day fishing.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”