H l Leonard "grafiete"

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

gunner45

H l Leonard "grafiete"

Post by gunner45 »

I have a two piece graphite fly rod from a client who wants it restored to " fish able" condition. The owner claims that this rod was rescued from a inglorious fate in a landfill, by a relative in Conn. Some years ago!
This rod is labeled as:"H.L. Leonard grafiete tm" "7-1/2'-2-1/4 oz-5 wt.line" this rod has been damaged at the ferrule on the tip section and is 5" shorter than labeled ( now 7'1") it should be noted that the male ferrule is mounted in the butt section and it appears that the female ferrule had been replaced with a cheap ferrule which failed.
I am inquiring if anyone has knowledge of this rod? Is it legit or a counterfeit?

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: H l Leonard "grafiete"

Post by SpringCreek »

The rod is most likely legitimate, however, pictures would be needed to evaluate its origin.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Most likely this is a Leonard "Graftek" rod from the early/mid 70's. Light gray blank and they came with a very nice brass capped Leonard tube and Leonard quality hardware. From the early years of Graphite rod development. If I remember correctly the blanks were sourced from an outside vender and were known to fail at the ferrules. I had one that I bought on close out in around 1979 and the third time I used it broke at the base of the female ferrule.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I believe that outside source was Exxon Corp. The ferrules lacked hoop strength and virtually all failed. Just simply wrapping the entire ferrule with nylon would have cured the problem.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”