Walton Powell history question

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Walton Powell history question

Post by ozarkwater »

Curious, searched and no concrete info.

Does anyone know the time frame that Walton Powell was in Belmont, CA and made the "Belmont" style all metal reel seat rods?

Thank you

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Re: Walton Powell history question

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I met Walton once at a Southwest Council FFF Conclave in west Los Angeles. He had some gorgeous rods with him. When I told him I had one of his 7'6" Graphite rods, I thought he'd choke! All I knew then was that he lived up near the middle of California somewhere.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Don't know how I did that?

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

DUCKMANNM wrote:Don't know how I did that?
Nothing compared to what I can do on a laptop :o

I have talked to Eugene several times in the past. Always enjoyed. Not sure why I am addicted to Walton Powell cane, but I am. The wife said once she knew this nurse doctor lady at the hospital I could talk to! I declined.

Yeah if we could only go back "then" with the knowledge we have "now"!

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

A little off topic, but I fished the upper Sacramento at Dunsmuir in the early 1970's. If I recall, our fishing was OK, but the night in town was something else. I remember him offering a couple of his rods to bar patrons to "try out," but I don't think they were ever returned. He was an interesting guy and I wish I had asked him much more about his family and the company.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Here is some CLASSIC Walton Powell!

CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

kermit wrote:Here is some CLASSIC Walton Powell!

CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

I like that little rascal. How is the casting on it? What line works best for you?

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

The rod is 7 1/2' for a 5wt. It cast nice with Cortland "Sylk".
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

jz2
Master Guide

Post by jz2 »

I had a Walton Powell companion rod that had aluminum collets for ferrules. I did not appreciate how special it was and traded it for something. Traded in part because it was a shorter rod that needed a heavier line to load and it did not suit the type of fishing I did. I think i commissioned it to Phil Snyder's list. Maybe someone on the forum has it now.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

jz2 wrote:I had a Walton Powell companion rod that had aluminum collets for ferrules. I did not appreciate how special it was and traded it for something. Traded in part because it was a shorter rod that needed a heavier line to load and it did not suit the type of fishing I did. I think i commissioned it to Phil Snyder's list. Maybe someone on the forum has it now.
Well for some odd reason I am getting attached to the one I have. 8' 8" 3/2 #5/6/7 and solid of course. Jim Clarkson spiffed it up. I personally will probably have it stripped [ apparently a decent overcoat of varnish at one time ] and new guides put on it. A bit heavy, yes. But she can spit out half of a DT5 in no time. My son calls it the "Christmas Tree Rod"! ??? Standard WP Green wraps with a red and gold Featherweight full metal real seat.

Jim and Rich Morrison said the Belmont rods were slow action. I do not think this one is. Maybe compared to a modern graphite. Jim when he had it in Chico working on it said it was some really nice cane.

This is the longest cane WP I have for the heaviest line. Might just hang onto this baby. Especially since the little sweetheart [ 8' 8" = sweetie? ] went through the recent fires up around Chico and did not get lost with 3 weeks in the USPO system!

Dang, me thinks if I ever run across a shorter one I might ante up! To a certain extent that is ;)

Yeah, fly rods, long rifles, vintage wheel guns...lots of nice little toys that I probably should not have let go. Young and dumb is what Dad used to say! :\

bamrod77
Guide

Post by bamrod77 »

Check with Per Brandin (https://www.brandin-splitcane.com/ ). I think he is working on a Powell bio.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

bamrod77 wrote:Check with Per Brandin (https://www.brandin-splitcane.com/ ). I think he is working on a Powell bio.
Thank you. Another book to add to the must have list.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Per Brandin's book is about E.C. Powell. Though there will be small mention of Walton and the other members of the Powell family in the rod making business, it's probably not what you're looking for.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

16pmd wrote:Per Brandin's book is about E.C. Powell. Though there will be small mention of Walton and the other members of the Powell family in the rod making business, it's probably not what you're looking for.
No, not exactly. But any info on the family would be nice. And never can tell one day I just might pick up an EC rod.

jz2
Master Guide

Post by jz2 »

The Powell's are a fascinating family. Tony Maslan built a rod for me and I had a couple of pleasant conversations with him. Met Walton a couple of times at California fly fishing shows. Spent some time talking with Max Yerxa, who was making Powell style rods with the family's permission. I had an awesome 7.5 2/2 from him. Cast a bunch of Powells owned by Phil Snyder, and had more than a few pass thru my collection. I'm sorry that I let some of them go. I'm down to the Maslan.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

jz2 wrote:The Powell's are a fascinating family. Tony Maslan built a rod for me and I had a couple of pleasant conversations with him. Met Walton a couple of times at California fly fishing shows. Spent some time talking with Max Yerxa, who was making Powell style rods with the family's permission. I had an awesome 7.5 2/2 from him. Cast a bunch of Powells owned by Phil Snyder, and had more than a few pass thru my collection. I'm sorry that I let some of them go. I'm down to the Maslan.
Interesting background. I have only seen 4 Belmont rods, including those on the internet. I have one. Then only seen...3 Yerxa rods. I have one. Eugene was cranking out rods for me right and left at one point. I sold all of them, except one. One never thinks the clock will stop I guess. The only Powell family maker I do not have a rod by is EC. Well, there is Buddy Powell. After the first of the year I might have to go back on the hunt for one.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I dug this up yesterday from where it was left about 15 years ago.
A Chico California era Walton Powell rod in the tube.

The heavily wrapped tip and signature reel seat are there - but the rod is made of space age plastic.

I post this for the significance of the makers abilities to market himself.
Walton was literally rolling with the then times.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Too bad it was not cane. Every rod tube I see in an antique shop, I check it out. Never know.

Hit the Maramac Spring Park and the Current this weekend. Beats attempting to fish on the opening day of deer season in the Mark Twain. [ One close call is enough. ]

Not much biting. Caught a few, quickly at St. James and then it shut down. Front moved in fast. Montauk and the River on Sunday, sunny, wind howling and a fly caster every 20'. Not my cup of tea.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I do own 2 glass Walton Powell rods, they both have colored plastic tubes,..
His cane rods came in painted brass tip/base capped metal tubes from what I see above.
What a fine rod Kermit.

ozark - Someday we should meet up... could be I just you met at the SRG.
We could cast a few rods - I could pass along a new fishy spot at Lake Taneycomo.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

BKS: For sure. The weather down there can be 20 degrees warmer than my place north of Columbia!

Really want to hit Roaring River for a few days as well. Bet it has been...15 years?!

Will keep your mention in mind and surely over the next couple of months?

Thank you

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”