Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by canerodscom »

Hi folks,

I know I have corresponded with some of you about Brenan and his rods in the past. I'm doing a little further research and wonder if some of you with an interest might possibly get in touch with me at maker@canerods.com?

Some of you have shared valuable insights in the past, and I could stand to be reminded of those again.

Thanks,
Harry

DrCane
Sport

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by DrCane »

Harry, i read a fairly comprehensive article on Brennan not too long ago. . .and i think it was on Banjo's website.
I'd check there for information.

ChrisO

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Chris,

Will do.

Harry

Whitefish Press
Owner

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Whitefish Press »

Harry,

I've got some neat stuff for you on Brenan, including a 1937 advertisement, some info on him being a tournament caster, and an interview conducted with him in 1953 by the local paper about rodmaking and his favorite rodmakers (George Morgan and Arthur Bishop). The 1984 article on Brennan in Rod & Reel Magazine is a cracking good one. Ran across this stuff while researching Morgan. Drop me a note if you want copies.

-- Dr. Todd

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Gnome »

Dr. Todd, Could the gnome talk you out of a copy of that article Please!!!!! ANd Harry, I have a book that came out of His library and it has his signature in it, Not much but you are welcome to it when the time comes your gnome Jeff

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by canerodscom »

Thank you Jeff,

Though I could not accept the book as a gift, I'd love to photograph it at CRR this summer.

Harry

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by fishnbanjo »

On the front page of my website is the link to the full page scans of the article Harry, they should download rather well but in the off chance they don't come down well enough let me know as my new scanner can do an excellent job.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Gnome »

photos yes gift NO 8-)

Jeff

Whitefish Press
Owner

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Whitefish Press »

Jeff,

Of course you're welcome to a copy, and to all others who responded as well. Drop me an email with your address (whitefishpress@yahoo.com).

Cheers,

Dr. Todd

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by afgantrout »

What a nice thread to drop in on! Just this morning at a nice little sporting show at Orange County High School (VA), I picked up a copy of Flyfisher and after perusing it, showed it to my friend in the neighboring booth (Chris Bogart of Luray, VA). I pointed out a photo and said: "Look Chris! Here's a picture of Jeff Hatton (who you know) and my old friend Howard Bethel (who taught me bamboo rod restoring at the FFF center in Livingston)!
What's the moral to this story, the moral to this song? Well, I still own one of the neat rods I traded for art with Howard...Jerry Girard thought it was a Divine...Michael Sinclair thinks not. Maybe it's a Brennan! But, the real joy is to check into this forum and find a conversation between two or more fond acquaintances and to be able connect the thread through disparate meetings over a nice, long piece of time. Petri heil!

Furry Trout

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Furry Trout »

Harry,

I have a Brenan rod. My email address is dowalker@pershing.com. You sent me a copy of all of the correspondence that you had between Dan and other rodmakers. Let me know what you need. I can tell you about the rod, send pictures, etc.

Doug

Furry Trout

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Furry Trout »

Forgot to mention that I have an electronic copy of all of the correspondence between Dan Brenan and other rodmakers (perhaps the lost papers mentioned in the 1984 FRR article) that Harry was nice enough to mail to me. If anyone wants a copy, I'm happy to share. The info is in 3 .pdf files, and is really quite interesting. Provides a nice window into rodmaking from 60-70 years ago. Email here is dowalker@pershing.com.

Doug

Furry Trout

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Furry Trout »

Thought everyone might want to see some pics of the rod that I have. It's an 8-foot 3-2 that looks like it finished curing yesterday.

Furry Trout

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Furry Trout »

Not sure what happened, the pictures loaded on this end, and then were not displayed. I guess you can just email me for them. Could also have something to do with the fact that the message board posted my reply with a posting date of 1989...

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by Gnome »

Doug,

Please a copy for me!!!
your info goes out today

Jeff

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by bdcanefly »

HArry,
I have a brennon rod,
Let me know if you need photo's

goodboe8

Re: Dan Brenan (Brennan)

Post by goodboe8 »

My father bought one of these fishing rods at a garage sale for about 5$, can anyone tell me about these rods? Or how much they are worth?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Considerably more than $5! If you are interested in selling your rod please contact me via the information below.

julieboy

Post by julieboy »

I am a new member and found this forum trying to do research on Dan Brenan. I am not a fly fisherman or a bamboo rod collector. I have however recently acquired Dan Brenan's rod making and production records from about 1934 to the very late 1940's. I have to admit that as I have researched Dan Brenan I have become somewhat fascinated by the whole fly rod culture and history. While I would like to learn more about Dan Brenan it is not my intention to become the expert on his life or craft. In an effort to be completely honest I have already consigned a Dan Brenan rod with Lang's Auction and will likely consign the records as well. These records belong in the hands of someone who both understands them and appreciates them. I would also like to see them go to someone who will share the information contained in these record with others. While it may compromise the value of what I have I will be doing future posts sharing much of the information I have. George

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Hi George,
I sent a private message to your forum inbox.
Best regards,
Gary Siemer
My email is vintageflytackle[at]gmail[dot]com

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”