PowelB-taper copy

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Minnesota
Guide

PowelB-taper copy

Post by Minnesota »

I may want someone to make me a copy (clone) of an E.C.Powel B-taper rod. Are there any recommendations as to who I should work with to get one?

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: PowelB-taper copy

Post by 16pmd »

You could try Eugene Powell (http://www.ecpowellrodco.com), E.C. Powell's great grandson. Not sure how many rods he's making, but they're definitely in the E.C. Powell style.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Though not a direct answer to your question...you might hunt the internet to see if there is an AJ Thramer B taper clone for sale anywhere.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

DireWolf53 wrote:Though not a direct answer to your question...you might hunt the internet to see if there is an AJ Thramer B taper clone for sale anywhere.
I agree. I had a B-taper, 8-foot, 2/2, by AJ and it was an excellent Powell clone.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

One for sale on Bob Selb’s site by AJ Thramer.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Minnesota:

If you want your PM's to be answered, then turn off your refusal to accept PM's on this site!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

Done, sorry.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

16pmd wrote:You could try Eugene Powell (http://www.ecpowellrodco.com), E.C. Powell's great grandson. Not sure how many rods he's making, but they're definitely in the E.C. Powell style.
Gene is not making rods these days. Perhaps if you’re a long time customer he’d do some work for you but his timelines are very very long as he really just doesn’t do it any more.

You might try Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod works. He has the few remaining original EC Powell blanks available. PM me if you need his contact info.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”