Winston Question

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Minnesota
Guide

Winston Question

Post by Minnesota »

If the owner of a San Francisco Winston had a new nickel silver reel seat with a wood spacer substituted for the original black insert seat by Winston, is it still a San Francisco rod or should it be considered to be a Twin Bridges “repair” or something like that?
Richard

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Winston Question

Post by PYochim »

I'd call it a hybrid.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Personally I would still consider it a San Francisco rod - with a replaced reel seat (no big deal to me). I probably would not do it though so as to just to keep the original look but I have seen this done and think the rods look better. Yes - it will look different after the reel seat change but the rod was still made in SF from start to finish.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Sure beats filling down the foot on a 1912 Hardy Perfect to fit the SF reel seat ;) . If you are purchasing to fish it, you shouldn't worry. However, if you are a collector, you probaby should pass.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Does the reel seat have an insert with the R.L. Winston logo? If it does it was probably a Winston repair. Pictures would be great.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I have not made the purchase yet. Collectibility is an issue to me. I know the reel seat was replaced by Winston, not in San Fran, but in Twin Bridges (the dealer is more than reputable).

I do think that the rod looks great with the replaced reel seat. However, I do agree with NewUtahCaneAngler, I’m going to pass on the rod.
Richard
Ps. PY, I do like “hybrid”.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”