RL Winston fiberglass and graphite history

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

tackleman
Guide

RL Winston fiberglass and graphite history

Post by tackleman »

Winston's site is not very informative for the history of the different manufacturers of their blanks prior to the construction of their own plant in Twin Bridges. They do indicate they were into graphite blanks prior to the move to TB but there's nothing to indicate who was making those blanks. My understanding is that there were two or more companies, Loomis being one. I'm also interested in who they used over the years for fiberglass blanks and at what point were they designing their own mandrels.
Maybe I should prod Glenn's memory?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: RL Winston fiberglass and graphite history

Post by snorider »

Glenn is a great guy and probably knows. Or you could just call RL Winston and ask, they are very helpful.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Winston's graphite blanks came initially from J Kennedy Fisher (I think), then from G. Loomis and finally were made by Winston themselves. The glass blanks were made almost entirely by Fisher using mandrels designed by Winston, first by Doug Merrick, then some by Tom Morgan. There were also, for a short time and before Fisher, some coppery bronze, painted blanks made by a different supplier. Not many of them are still around.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

16pmd wrote:Winston's graphite blanks came initially from J Kennedy Fisher (I think), then from G. Loomis and finally were made by Winston themselves.
Correct. I don't know where the transition from Fisher to Loomis happened but Winston started making their own at serial # 43,000.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I got a Winston Catalog from 1970's. I think it's from 1974 or 1975.
Here's there's no mention about the Stalker yet. But Fisher was already their supplier for the fiberglass blanks.

A later (1977) catalog shows the Stalker (pictures from Fiberglass forum).
The Stalkers were the fiberglass equivalent of the Leetle Feller bamboo rods.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”