New Winston rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Winston rods

Post by mer »

This discussion has been had every time the folks working in the Winston bamboo shop have changed. In the end, it's your money, and if the current crew is executing the work correctly, the rods should be fine. Worth the price? Not for me to decide. Would I buy one? Probably not, probably never would have regardless who was making them. I've cast a few different ones (older ones), they were nice rods, but just "not me".
So if you have the funds and want one, don't let anyone talk you out of one.

cutthroatkid: having done a bit of road racing, that quote is an eternal truth. Can't tell you how many times I heard people bragging about how much they spent on a component to reduce weight by ounces. Kicker was when I'd ask "Did you try to lose 5lbs?".

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Thousand dollar rod will not cure a 50 cent stroke.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Bud wrote:
06/08/20 09:19
Thousand dollar rod will not cure a 50 cent stroke.
No but it will make you look better doing it. :rollin

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Can’t argue with that.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

The question was how Brackett era rods compare with today's Winston's. Have not yet seen a response that had an identical model rod by each to compare. I understand that everything in the new Winston bamboo shop (old Sweetgrass building) is new. If travel to Montana gets back to normal, I look forward to trying a new Winston and have high hopes that it will be a great rod. They have at least 2 builders with some Winston history, and talent.

AK Troutbum
Guide

New Winston rods

Post by AK Troutbum »

I can’t speak to the post Brackett Winston rods, as I’ve never even held one, but as for Glenn’s rods (both Winston and SG), I gave a couple, and they are both equally beautiful in finish as they are in function. I wish the absolute best for Winston, but their maker’s have some very large shoes to fill, hopefully they will be able to establish a core of maker’s that will carry on their storied accomplishments. Oh, and on a side note, my mom lives a few houses down from Glenn and she sent me a couple pictures of her yard from this morning. 7” of snow in June, something about that just doesn’t seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

7 inches of snow in June is why my mom drug the family out of Butte and on to Seattle. She said she wanted to grow flowers. Oh how different my life would be now if we stayed in Montana. As for Winston fly rods, I wish them the best of luck.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Go with the Sweet grass. Better price and better quality. Love the Winston graphite's (look out I know it is a dirty word on this forum) but really look for years of experience when it comes to cane. Cannot begin to estimate the number of cane rods that I have had with from newbie builders that had significant issues. . Have one right now that has issues that a very experienced builder would never had let out of his shop in the first place.

Bohemian Bob

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

If you are wanting a hollow built cane rod another option would be Robert Bolt. I have six Bolts and would be glad to review the tapers with you. I do like the more progressive actions and they seem to have finer tips than the Winston or Sweet grass. Also very familiar with Sweet grass as I own five and love those too. As stated their tapers are slightly stronger and not as delicate as Robert's but both are great. Picked up a six weight Bolt three piece and it is the best casting six weight in my collection. If I am going to spend crazy money on cane I want a builder with a lot of experience, not the weekend warriors.
thanks Bohemian Bob

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

bob2935 wrote:
07/11/20 05:27
Go with the Sweet grass. Better price and better quality. Love the Winston graphite's (look out I know it is a dirty word on this forum) but really look for years of experience when it comes to cane. Cannot begin to estimate the number of cane rods that I have had with from newbie builders that had significant issues. . Have one right now that has issues that a very experienced builder would never had let out of his shop in the first place.

Bohemian Bob
It was only a matter of time before an inquiry about the current Winston rods turned into a running ad for Sweetgrass. Never fails to happen.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

"It was only a matter of time before an inquiry about the current Winston rods turned into a running ad for Sweetgrass.'

Your comment seems really petty. Accusing me if being a shill for Sweetgrass. Far from it. The guy asked a question and I answered it. I will try to be more PC in the future. Would hate to ruffle your feathers.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

PYochim wrote:
07/11/20 07:22
bob2935 wrote:
07/11/20 05:27

Bohemian Bob
It was only a matter of time before an inquiry about the current Winston rods turned into a running ad for Sweetgrass. Never fails to happen.
Why wouldn't it? That's where the true lineage that made a Winston a Winston went. Making this connection could even help someone new who is learning.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Consider giving Annette some credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnzO3vzDE0

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

cdmoore wrote:
07/11/20 08:50
Consider giving Annette some credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnzO3vzDE0
No disrespect to Annette, but if this comes down to Bamboo then Sweetgrass is the next step in the lineage that attracted fans to the Bamboo rods in the first place.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I just held my friends 1996 Winston 8', 2 pc., 5wt. WOW! I haven't seen a recent Winston bamboo, but if the company has a tradition and sticks to it they should be fine rods. Are they?

Jay Edwards

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Excellent little video, thank you Chris. All question of materials aside, Annette is a star.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Jay,
From what I see they sure are! All the designs and tapers(with the exception of some prototypes) were in the records which survived the fire and they are still being produced just how they always have been. Winston uses a highly accurate mill, Wayne Maca has the same one and actually lent his to Winston while they waited for the new one, so the tapers the new mill turns out are the same as the old mill. The finish and hardware on all Winston products is excellent, the tapers are truly great (thanks Tom!) and the history is just amazing. 1929 to the present, the only company with a longer run making cane rods is Orvis, at least that I am aware of. Annette can rub some people the wrong way, but she is certainly proud of the company name and is doing great work keeping the production standards up to snuff. This video sums it up and features my house before the remodel...it's the ugly purple one https://www.facebook.com/WinstonRods/vi ... 368821493/
Cheers,
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Michael, thanks for weighing in with some factual information. Almost everything else has been conjecture. The current Winston bamboo makers who are probably just as good as anyone out there have not received fair treatment on this forum.

I'm taking a road trip next month and plan on stopping by the Winston shop. Can't wait!!
Last edited by PYochim on 07/13/20 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I like the early Tom Morgan era Winston rods. Both bamboo and fiberglass. The visit to the Winston factory was a wish of mine.

I did notice two mislabeling of rods in the ‘rods of fame’ frame. The Leetle Feller was labeled as ‘Light Feller’ and the Stalker as ‘Stalber’

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Long memories here.

Winston is not the same company it was 15 years ago. And 15 years ago, it was not the same company it had been 15 years before that.
I love my four Brackett rods, three from Winston and one from Sweetgrass. I also love my four Merrick rods. They are very different.
I have no rods made by Winston post-Brackett, but I have heard that that they are very nice. I would rather focus on the positive, that Winston and Sweetgrass are both making fine bamboo rods at a time when plastic overwhelmingly rules the market.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”