New Winston rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Minnesota
Guide

New Winston rods

Post by Minnesota »

How do the current Winston bamboo rods compare to Brackett Era models?

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: New Winston rods

Post by DaveNJ »

I was going to make a joke about them having graphite cores and pre-formed grips, but I'm pretty sure they actually do have pre-formed grips lol

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

DaveNJ wrote: I was going to make a joke about them having graphite cores and pre-formed grips, but I'm pretty sure they actually do have pre-formed grips lol
Well, it is one of the larger(largest?- not sure these days) production shops for cane. If there is no value add to the customer, then I’m not sure that’s critical. I will say that the only grip I have had a problem with was a Winston g* that was likely a pre-formed grip. It still fished well, not that I’ve used it much.

https://troutsflyfishing.com/a/info/blo ... od-factory

To the OP’s question, I can’t answer that.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I have no basis for this... but I strongly suspect that their cane business has dropped since the boys left to make rods at 2/3 the price. For those in the know, there's no point in buying a Winston when you can get a Sweetgrass.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

DaveNJ wrote:I have no basis for this... but I strongly suspect that their cane business has dropped since the boys left to make rods at 2/3 the price. For those in the know, there's no point in buying a Winston when you can get a Sweetgrass.
No doubt.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

The RL Winston rod company has been making bamboo rods for almost 100 years, continuously, with only a couple short breaks. The latest being from the fire in 2017, took over a year for them to get insurance settled, and under a year to get the shop back up and running. The product they are turning out is exceptional in my opinion. I have cast a couple new Winston bamboo rods and the finish was excellent, the tapers are great as always. I have to say the new 7' 3wt was amazing in every way that 50' trout took it on the chin. Folks who have visited will know what I am talking about.

This is a US company making a GREAT product in Twin Bridges, MT, USA and they certainly don't deserve being slighted by speculative webspurts who have NO knowledge of what is going on with their products. The shop in Twin welcomes visitors and they have rods available for casting if you would like to educate yourselves. Glenn did not just up and leave the company, nor did Jerry, Tom, Lew, Robert or anyone else they passed the knowledge on. That is a positive thing in my mind, and it has resulted in some new innovations (Spey rods etc) and a continuation of a great product line.

In answer to your question MN; They are of course different but still exceptional fishing rods in every way, and because they carry some of Glenn and Toms magic along with em, in some ways they are even better! Heck give em a call 406-684-5674
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I have had the pleasure of visiting the Winston shop on two occasions and can certainly vouch for their hospitality. The little museum they have set up is excellent as is their collection of bamboo rods. Webspurt? I haven't heard that one before Michael.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Dunno about the current Winston grips, but long ago I got a Brackett tour, and he showed me a Hardinge lathe set up CNC with a tool post grinder to make their grips: I'm saying thirty years ago, so why change?

Jay Edwards

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Webspurts...I'm going to steal that one :rollin
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

I’m pleased my knowledge of casting rods is known throughout the Internet. :rollin

The US comment is completely irrelevant. That was not in question to my eyes.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I made it up, long day ;)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I can't remember all the details but it seems that Glenn and jerry, et al gave Winston 6 months notice, during which time they "trained" the people that Winston chose to be their successors. Obviously no one learns twenty to thirty or more years of roadmaking in 6 months, or even a year or two!

Of course Winston still asks a terrific price for rods made by, well, something less than journeyman. If some of you think that is fair and right and not a disservice to rodmakers everywhere, then hell, why not make them up in China and just slap a Winston decal on them that says "Made in USA"?

I'd reserve my money for rods made by actual American rod makers who have learned the craft by the long hard road of tradition. This is a craft and an art to be honored and preserved!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

DaveNJ wrote:
06/05/20 17:53
I have no basis for this... but I strongly suspect that their cane business has dropped since the boys left to make rods at 2/3 the price. For those in the know, there's no point in buying a Winston when you can get a Sweetgrass.
Is Sweetgrass still in business? I thought it had closed.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Minnesota wrote:
06/06/20 16:13
DaveNJ wrote:
I just got a newsletter last week.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

trland wrote:
06/06/20 18:06
Minnesota wrote:
06/06/20 16:13
DaveNJ wrote:
I just got a newsletter last week.
Just checked, web site is still active. Does Sweetgrass still craft hollow built? Could not find anything on the site regarding that aspect.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Their website was updated in the past month.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I got a rod from Sweetgrass this past week.

I appreciate Snorider's response, and as I stated earlier I don't really know for sure what's going on beyond what I've heard.

I'm of the naive, romantic kind. I have no love for rod companies that pump out so many lines that they become forgotten as quickly as they were proposed to be "the next best thing." Winston was really special and had a lot of soul, and anything after that was doomed. Just couldnt live up to the Morgan/Bracket years, which complimented the Merrick/howells years, which complimented the Merrick/Stoner years.

Maybe it's unfair of me to compare it as such. If I ran Winston it would probably be out of business and considered antiquated, so what do I know?

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The bamboo rod business represents a tiny fraction of the fly rod market. I have owned several Winston graphite rods, all of them destined for flats fishing, and the quality is superb, the designs are superb. They made a variety of boron graphite composite rods that were the benchmark of their day.
I hold Winston in very high regard and I wish them much success. IMHO, making bamboo rods to be sold through a dealer network amounts to slow death.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I heard that David Ondaatje isn’t the owner of Winston anymore. To whom he sold I don’t know.

Winston has lost its soul the moment Tom Morgan wasn’t there anymore. With all the rods they made, it was just trying to catchup with the rest of the world with faster rods.

I think this ad by Winston epitomize the downfall of Winston.

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

There's no doubt that Glenn, Jerry and the others have devoted their lives to producing an excellent product and are very nice guys in addition. I own a Sweetgrass rod and am very happy with it, and happy to support the outstanding people who make it. Having said that, the Winston makers probably also try to put out a very good product and although their experience is less they probably use the same glues, heat treatment techniques, and possibly even similar tapers, given who their mentors were - so I wouldn't disparage them. I wonder if all identifying marks were removed from the rods how many of us could tell the difference by looking at the rod, and also how many could tell the difference it casting similar models.

As far as the newer plastic rods, companies market what sells. It looks to me like there are two trends - one towards the highest modulus stiffest "new" space age material designed for bonefish flats, the other a resurgence of softer action fiberglass rods. I'll end with a quote from a cycling book by Tim Moore - " The sporting goods industry prospers from the eternal truth that people who are not very good at something would rather blame a lack of expensive equipment than their own physical failings." I would add that even people who are very good at something still want a better (more expensive?) piece of equipment. And, it's worth something to support makers you like. It drives the industry.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”