#10 Heddon

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Jacque Le Fluer

#10 Heddon

Post by Jacque Le Fluer »

Looking for info on thread for a Heddon #10. From the catalog information in our forum I’ve learned the first #10 had blue with white thread. The next year it went to maroon with green thread. After that it went to maroon with black jade. That was in 1940. No other info after that year. The rod I have is a 8.5 and has none of the above colors. I could outright assume that at some point it was refinished. If it were it was a pretty good job. Not that I am complaining about a good job, except one of the guides came off at some point and the making the rod fishable was a less than stellar job. The color of the thread on the rod appears to be a red/gold thread. It’s got that slight change of color in the red. So was it something that happened after 1940/ WWII?

Depending on the info received may determine what happens to the rod. Info on what might be close to maroon/green for in the day. I definitely believe the rod is post WWII.

You guys are information hero’s. Thanks in advance.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: #10 Heddon

Post by wrong66 »

Tell us about what rod shaft markings are on it. That will help a lot.

Jacque Le Fluer

Should have added photos to show right off/hopefully this will give you a better idea .

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

If your rod also says "Heddon" and "Blue Waters" on it, it was made from 1949 to 1952. If not, and has only "Heddon" written diagonally on another flat, without the "Blue Waters" inking, it was made from about 1939 until 1948 (minus the war years). Just after the war, Japanese silk was in short supply in the U.S. So, on the #10, at least five different colors of jasper silk can be found original from the factory: Your colors, maroon & black jasper, black & white jasper, green & black jasper (rarely seen) and orange and black jasper. There could even be more, but those are the most commonly seen on the #10 from about 1939 to 1952. They used what was most readily available on any given day. Nice rod, it seems, and a very desirable taper.
Mark

Jacque Le Fluer

The suggestion is, there were normally two colors. I forgot to show on other side where blue waters is written.
so I’m guessing but this rod could be a war baby.
And if that is the case what color thread could this even be. It’s got that slight iridescent look.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”