Kuma Kiri fly rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

bob2935
Master Guide

Kuma Kiri fly rods

Post by bob2935 »

Hi I picked up a Kiri 8'6" four/five weight rod and it is a super casting rod. Was wondering if he is still building cane rods. I know he was a tournament caster as I watching throw at the Catskill Flea Market years ago. His casting was impressive and I know he won the event at least once. He is one of my sleeper builders. Any information on Kuma would be appreciated including his email address. This rod was hollow built and was wondering if he flutes his cane like Sweetgrass/Winston or does he scallop the cane like Powell. Along with a super taper his cosmetics were tops in this rod. Kinda surprised there is not more talk about his work. Maybe he is done with cane. I know it is a tough business.
Bohemian Bob

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Kuma Kiri fly rods

Post by Short Tip »

Hi Bob,

I think I have Kuma's number somewhere, let me look. He's not much of an email/cell phone kind of guy. He normally shows up with George McCabe, if you know George he can almost certainly get you in touch with Kuma. They were both active in the Cleveland Casting Club as well. I competed with them in a few events when I was in the Chicago Angling & Casting Club. I'll reach out to both of them this weekend, it'll be a few days.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Thanks Paul Hope you are well. We are loving out Tab Boondock camper. Thanks for the advice.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Bob, that's awesome. We should plan a T@b/fishing meetup sometime. I did park it on the "back forty" at the Catskills Summerfest a couple of years back.

I made a call and left a message. I'll send you a PM as soon as it bears fruit.

PK

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Bob, that number is good, give Kuma a ring.

PK

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

thanks so much. His work is fantastic.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”