Tom Morgan Rodsmith's Article

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Stickman

Tom Morgan Rodsmith's Article

Post by Stickman »

A nice article that ran about a week ago in the New York Times about Tom Morgan Rodsmith's - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/21/trav ... -rods.html . Unfortunately, there was not much about their bamboo rods. I would highly recommend a visit to their shop if the opportunity ever presents itself. The amount of work and detail that goes into their products is incredible. I'm glad to see they are getting the exposure, Matt, Joel, and Rick are great guys.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tom Morgan Rodsmith's Article

Post by PYochim »

I visited them last year. A good bunch of guys. It’s strange that no one mentions these guys as continuing the Winston lineage.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Stickman wrote:
09/29/20 19:21
A nice article that ran about a week ago in the New York Times about Tom Morgan Rodsmith's - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/21/trav ... -rods.html . Unfortunately, there was not much about their bamboo rods. I would highly recommend a visit to their shop if the opportunity ever presents itself. The amount of work and detail that goes into their products is incredible. I'm glad to see they are getting the exposure, Matt, Joel, and Rick are great guys.
A really nice article about some really great guys and agree that bamboo wasn’t highlighted but a good read nonetheless. My brother-in-law and I learned bamboo rodmaking from Ric, Matt, and Joel a few years ago at their first class. Their attention to detail and adherence to the way Tom Morgan approached rod making is impressive and inspirational. You would be hard pressed to find even a tiny flaw on any of their rods. I make a point to stop in whenever I can get there. And I learn something new every time!
Last edited by trland on 09/30/20 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

PYochim wrote:
09/29/20 20:14
I visited them last year. A good bunch of guys. It’s strange that no one mentions these guys as continuing the Winston lineage.
A stranger on the Gallatin River recognized the rod I was fishing as a Tom Morgan, from 20 feet away! I had to tell him it wasn’t a “real” TMR rod as I had made it during their class.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Yes, they are really nice guys and their bamboo rods are first class. They make a 7' three weight which is a cracker.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”