F.E Thomas

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Morten

F.E Thomas

Post by Morten »

I have a question regarding F.E Thomas. F.E Thomas rods where made with different actions according to its use, dispite the length. Wetfly or Dry Fly in different actions. How do I know what action a certain F.E Thomas was supposed to have, did the Thomas rod company mark the type or the weight of the blank as an inscription on the rod?.

Below a copy of the 1955 catalogue

https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... s-1955.pdf

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: F.E Thomas

Post by Short Tip »

Howdy Morten,

This is an issue with FET rods. I think it's also the reason that opinions on Thomas rods vary so widely. Since an 8 foot 3pc. rod can supposedly have six different tapers, some will be to your liking, some probably won't.

After many years of collecting and fishing these rods, I've come to the conclusion that the catalog statement has just a touch of hype. For example, I've never seen an FET two piece rod with anything other than a "dry fly" action. Yes, they can be stiff or limber, but there are not 6 variations in the two piece 7 1/2' or 8' rods. Also, the older the rod, the more likely you are to see that full working wet fly action. It was pretty rare to see by the time Leon took over in the late 30's.

The rods originally had a tag. The tag sometimes listed the action, but not always. There's no other indicator except casting and fishing the rod.

If you can say a little more about a certain rod, including weight, ferrule sizes and numbers on butt cap, we might be able to manage a SWAG.

Morten

Post by Morten »

I was thinking if these one as an example, bc I would very much like to own an F.E Thomas rod, usable for dry fly fishing for sea run browns in my local stream. But I do not want the rod to be slower, than say a Granger 8642, or my 50DF.

https://coldwatercollectibles.com/Rod%2 ... id2252.jpg
https://coldwatercollectibles.com/Rod%2 ... id2245.jpg

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I can't speak to the second rod, the Special, other than to say it's pretty and looks to be a late 30's built rod. It appears to be a symbol and a number stamped on the buttcap but I can't read them.

The first rod, the 8 1/2' Bangor, used to reside in my collection. I didn't sell or consign it to Jim Bresko, so I have no interest in it now. I can say (from memory) that it is near mint, very little use, and is a nice medium to medium fast actioned 6 weight, for me. I can't get Coldwater Collectibles site to load right now, so I can't see his description.

If you can find an 8 1/2' Thomas Streamer rod, that would be a good choice for what you're doing I think. They do well with a DT6 - WF7.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Morten--

See if any of the contributions in this previous thread help.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=119805&p=827995&hi ... ly#p827995

BTW, I would agree with Short Tip's recommendation for your intended use.

Morten

Post by Morten »

Great thread, lots of info. I use a Granger 8642 at the moment for casting foam hoppers and madam-x style flies for sea run browns. It's a small stream, and the average fish are around tree to four pounds. Presentation is key to get these spooky fish. I have discovered, than my Granger is a great tool for landing these fish, in the narrow space they live in. They just seem less energetic, by the gentle and constant pull from a bamboo rod. Use graphite as well, if I fish before going to the office, and have to leave wet rod and line in the back of my car. The full flex of an 8.6 F.E Thomas, would compliment my Granger for this kind of fishing, at least I hope so. And the prices at not scary, so I would take the risk of buying one online.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I'd recommend that you talk to Jim Bresko at Coldwater Collectibles. He's great to deal with.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have an 8 1/2' Thomas Bangor myself, a dry fly rod built in 1939 per Steve Campbell at the Thomas Rod Co. Mine has a full nickel silver locking reel seat and is a strong 6 weight.
If the seller will let you know the symbol and number stamped on the butt, you can email Mr. Campbell and ask him to check the Thomas records. I found him to be very helpful.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I couldn't make out the details of the stamping on the end of the butt cap from the photos on the Coldwater Collectibles site. However, the listing on the site says it has a square and a number. The square signifies that the rod was completed in 1939, and the number signifies the sequential number of the rod made that year out of the total number made that year, which was 695. Steve could tell you what other information about the rod, such as whether it was a dry fly rod.

Morten

Post by Morten »

Thanks, I have sent Jim an E-mail, and will ask Steve Campbell for further infos on the rods. Thanks a lot for your help.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”