Ron Bennet

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

eapling
Guide

Ron Bennet

Post by eapling »

Any info on rodmaker Ron Bennet. I have a rod of his fro,I think, 1967, if I interpret the inscription correctly. I found some info that he was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburg and active in the area's fly fishing organizations. Not sure if that's correct though.
The rod shows nice work.

Any info appreciated. thanks, E

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ron Bennet

Post by cwfly »

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

viewtopic.php?t=70180

I’ve seen a number of Ron’s rods at the Int’l Angler in Ptsbg and the Fish Hawk in Atlanta. I’ve liked some better than others, and the only one I acquired was a Bennett Payne 197, a supple 4 wt that resembles a P197 and feels like one. In a very nice wooden hex case.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Btw, doubtfully from 1967, more likely newer 80s and later.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

creakycane wrote:
10/19/20 12:26
Btw, doubtfully from 1967, more likely newer 80s and later.
Also, I get the impression Mr Bennett passed in 2017, but I can’t confirm this.....

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/benne ... on-prices/

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

Ron Bennett unfortunately passed away about 7-8 years ago. He was a retired professor of fine arts/sculpture at Carnegie Mellon for over 30 years. He was involved with the Penns Woods West chapter of TU where he developed a desire to build cane fly rods. His affiliation with CMU was very instrumental in his rod work, as much of his equipment was built in the various machine shops in the school. He built rods using the tapers of many classic rod firms, but the majority of his work concentrated on the Paul Young tapers, as most of the PWWTU rodbuilders did. Ron's rods are very spartan in appearance but are constructed so skillfully that his rods should last for decades to come.

Ron's widow is using International Angler in Pittsburgh to broker the remaining rods of his that are left. I was at the shop recently where many of his rods were on display with the prices reduced 50% to $600 on his rods if any one is interested. No Financial Interest on my part.

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

Thanks for all the information.
My thought that my rod was made in 1967 was based on the inked number "0567".
Does anyone know how he numbered/ID'd his rods?
As mentioned, it comes in a nice hex wooden case.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”