Another Leonard question...

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeB
Master Guide

Re: Another Leonard question...

Post by LeeB »

+1 with Headwaters, as noted above. (e.g., post #7 - see specific differences)

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

LeeB wrote:
11/06/20 11:12
Here's my pre-fire 50DF Hunt, which shows many of the hallmarks discussed above.
- 1950s rod with "Reg. U. S. PAT. OFF." roll stamp. Also marked "Special Tournament".
- All oxidized mountings
- Screw locking seat mounted uplocking
- Darker cane, very similar in color to a Payne
- 16/10 ferrules; Weighs 4.5 ounces
I've owned several other pre-fire 50DFs, and this one is indeed a bit faster, and slightly heavier, but I still consider it a 5. All the others had 15/10 ferrules, and those also equipped with screw locking seats typically weighed 1/4 - 1/2 ounce less. I really like this one with the Wulff Bamboo TT5F, as it seems to like the longer belly. I've tried it with a couple of the lighter WF6F lines (e.g., Sylk, SA Trout) and it's fine with those as well. But for me, the slightly heavier 5s (Wulff, Rio Gold, SA GPX) are where it's best. I've only handled one Hewett, and that rod had a much more pronounced swell in the butt, and even larger ferrules, as did a pre-fire 4099 I used to own.
Lee

I recently picked up a near sister rod to this rod of Lee's. Also 50's era, 4.5 oz., uplock seat (no tournament markings), and seems to like the same lines as Lee describes above - Barrio DT5, Wulff Bamboo 5, Sylk WF6. 16/10 ferrules like the Hewitt but has a noticeably slimmer taper than the Hewitt, which weighs 4.25 oz. with a slideband seat. Taking the seat difference into account, I think the Hewitt is about 1/4 oz. heavier than the Hunt.

This one has deep garnet red wraps with black/green jasper tipping at the hook keeper and male ferrules. Quite a striking rod.

It's a danged nice medium fast rod with lots of backbone. Definitely NOT just a prefire 50DF with cosmetic differences. The Leonard square thread uplock seat is a little fussy, needs a thin straight foot to work well.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's a beautiful Leonard Paul. Thanks for posting...

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Beaudatious!

Bruno

Leonard 49H

Post by Bruno »

Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy a leonard 49H 3/2 in fabulous conditions. My question is about the meaning of 49H and the action of this bamboo rod ?
Thanks for your answers.
Bruno

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Re: Leonard 49H

Post by G-ManBart »

Bruno wrote:
11/13/21 10:44
Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy a leonard 49H 3/2 in fabulous conditions. My question is about the meaning of 49H and the action of this bamboo rod ?
Thanks for your answers.
Bruno
I'm far from a Leonard expert, but I'm pretty certain the 49 Hunt is 7 1/2', 5wt with what most folks would call a medium fast action. You may want to start a new thread if you don't get any responses here.

BTW....welcome, I see this was your first post!

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Short Tip;
Just seeing this now - very nice find!
And I agree completely with your description of the "fussy" nature of that reel seat. None of my Hardys (ribbed or alloy foot) fit well, but I did find that a Bogdan Trout pairs well with that seat.
Lee

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”