leonard Bangor marked rod

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

hatch
Master Guide

leonard Bangor marked rod

Post by hatch »

Did any Leonard Bangor marked rods leave the shop without spike ferrules?

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: leonard Bangor marked rod

Post by cwfly »

That is a difficult question to answer since to be entirely accurate one would have to have seen every Leonard/Bangor rod that left the shop.
Absent that foundation, I would doubt that any such rods were made without bayonet/spiked ferrules.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Thanks for the response cwfly. It appears you got the point of my question. When you think about it, If this forum only allowed posts that were "entirely accurate" it would greatly reduce the number of posts on this board wouldn't it? :)

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Tom / Charlie --

I know it's 20+ years old, so I don't know if this is still regarded as accurate. However, check AJ Campbell's book, bottom of p. 56 and top of p. 57 , which provides: "The very last rods marked to the "Maker" exhibited a new style of ferrule. Dispensing with the old spike, these surprisingly modern ferrules consisted of a one-piece drawn female and a two-piece male."

Let me know what you think.

Rupert

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

A two-piece 10' Bangor Leonard I purchased from John Elder a few years ago has the 'new' style ferrules with two-piece males having capped slides. When time allows I'll get a photo posted.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Headwaters; In his book Campbell states" The Millse's insisted upon being H.L. Leonard's exclusive sellers, and Hiram's last Bangor rods carried the stamping H.L.Leonard, Maker Wm Mills and Son N.York Sole Agents."

I think Campbell means the last rods made by Leonard in Bangor carried the 5 line Mills Sole agent stamp which followed the "Bangor Me". stamped rods.

In my original question I am referring to the rods marked only "H.L. Leonard Bangor Me." Were all of them made with Spiked ferrules?

The general thought today seems to lean towards the idea that 5 line Leonard ,Mills, Sole Agents marked rods followed the "H.L .Leonard Bangor" marked rods in rod stamp sequence.

Campbell goes on to say "Leonard soon became disenchanted with this loss of quality control and sold more of his company to the Millses. By 1886 Thomas Bate Mills owned a controlling interest and the phrase "H.L. Leonard Maker" was deleted from future rods." This makes me think that in his statement in the book "The very last rods marked to the "Maker" exhibited a new style of ferrule. Dispensing with the old spike , these surprisingly modern ferrules consisted of one piece drawn female and a two piece male ." A.J. is referring to the last rods carrying the markings H.L. Leonard Maker as part of the 5 line Mills stamp reaching into the 1880s in Central Valley well after his move from Bangor.

Just my interpretation.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Jeffkn1 I just looked and I have a "Bangor" marked Leonard with spike ferrules With the ferrule Pat. Oct 26. 1875 and a "Bangor" marked Leonard with spike ferrules with both ferrule Pat. Oct 26 1875 and Sept 3 1878. It appears that "Bangor" stamped Leonards existed in a transition period where the "New Style" ferrules were available. Jeff, If you have a" Bangor" marked Leonard with "new style" ferrules it shows that perhaps some of the fishermen/ women in 1878 were reluctant to change and ordered the spike ferrules while others who wanted to try something new opted for the new style ferrules.
My question is answered. Some "Bangor" Marked Leonards left the shop with spike ferrules and others were made with "modern style" ferrules. Thanks to all for the help.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Jeff--

I was fishing all day, so this is late. However, thanks for confirming that you have a Bangor Leonard with non-spike ferrules with 2-piece males.

Rupert

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

headwaters wrote:
11/20/20 16:30
Jeff--

I was fishing all day, so this is late. However, thanks for confirming that you have a Bangor Leonard with non-spike ferrules with 2-piece males.

Rupert
Rupert

We were out of town today, also. Here's a closeup of the aforementioned ferrules. Click the image twice for the closest view.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

cwfly wrote:
11/19/20 18:29
That is a difficult question to answer since to be entirely accurate one would have to have seen every Leonard/Bangor rod that left the shop.
Absent that foundation, I would doubt that any such rods were made without bayonet/spiked ferrules.
I no longer doubt!

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

That particular rod remains one of my most interesting Leonards from the 1870's.Nothing about it fits the usual image we have of his rods in the pre-Mills years, not even the taper.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Jeff--

Fabulous pix, thanks! Salmon versus trout rod? Can you share more about the surprises? Your comment about the taper is intriguing.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I've spoken of this rod a couple of times in the past, though not in much detail. I'll start a new thread.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

cwfly wrote:
11/20/20 18:31
cwfly wrote:
11/19/20 18:29
I no longer doubt!
Charlie
You were pretty dam' close.
I just got off the phone with Jerry and, if I'm remembering correctly what he said, he has seen only one other Bangor built Leonard rod that did not have spike ferrules, and that one was a 2 piece 15' splice joint salmon rod. I will touch on the ferrule thing again in my other thread. This is where that one particular 1878 ad in Forest & Stream comes in.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Jeffkin1, On the topic of the rarity of Leonard "Bangor" marked rods which do not sport Spike ferrules. You have one , Fred Kretchman has another and there is a third which I have seen that prompted this thread. Non Spike ferrule "Bangor" marked Leonards may be a minority but in one thread, in two days, on this forum 3 have surfaced. On these rods "modern" style nonspiked ferrules seem to be original equipment. That suggests to me at least several rods left the shop, during the time period being discussed, built with non spike ferrules. It appears it was an option offered by Leonard during the time period that he was stamping his rods "H.L. Leonard maker Bangor Me?"

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Lang's records, going back to 2006, show 9 Bangor-marked Leonards. All had spike ferrules.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”