E W EDWARDS BREWER ERA RODS

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: E W EDWARDS BREWER ERA RODS

Post by Woodlakejag »

Thanks Charlie,
I will continue to presume that with a tag date of 24 October 1919, Dean’s pictures show a rod that was made at Winchester.
It’s very nice to see two rods so similar and helps to verify that these are the original wraps, etc.

looking forward to seeing more rods.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

George, I appreciate your thoughts about trying to place the origin of the rod Dean has posted. I recall, I think, seeing the rod some years back at Lang’s, in the hands of Hoagy if memory serves me.
However, I have a different take on the date. First, I have no idea where that “tag” came from. I have no idea what the other, code-like text means. It almost seems like inventory numbers.
The Hartford Courant of October 29, 1919, drawing on an article from the Augusta Kennebec Journal reported on the purchase of Edwards’ business and the future move to New Haven. It noted that until “about two weeks ago” he did not even know he was going to leave Brewer. It also noted that Winchester had bought his business and all his equipment was going to be moved down to New Haven.
I cannot imagine how Winchester would work into this with all his equipment sitting in Brewer. I don’t feel it is a Winchester rod.
Charlie

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I think there is some relevant and earlier discussion to be found here:
viewtopic.php?t=86792&start=20

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Yes, Hoagy had the rod at that show in 2007. There is a picture of the tag in Playing With Fire on page 70.

Dean.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Dean/Paul, do those 7 ft rods have agate strippers? I just realized they aren’t pictured.

Charlie, you win again. Even if presume the date on the tag was the date the rod was finished, it’s still too early for Winchester. I was close, though.
That thread you linked is great. One of my favorites. AJ was skeptical of many rods attributed to the Brewer era and I agree with his skepticism.
Has anyone ever found an Edwards ad from the Brewer era? (Other than the T&E ads).

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

George,

The 7'-0" A&F has 11/64 ferrules and no stripper. I thought the hardware was seamed, but it's not jumping out at me.

This other rod is also an A&F rod. It is a 9'-0" 3/2 all full length and original. It matches very closely to the 7'-0" rod, just a longer length. You will see that the Edwards slide band is seamed as are the ferrules, winding check and reel seat. This rod has a stripper, and came with a tip tube. Ferrules are 10/64 and 15/64. Sorry but the pics were rushed as I sat at my desk, but you will get the idea.

The winding check on this rod is similar to a check I saw on a Brewer era rod several years back.

Enjoy,
Paul

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Very nice, this is more Brewer rods than I’ve ever seen! I’ve learned a lot. Thanks for posting.
George

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Here's an eye-opener from the collection of board member Old Creel, who rarely comes around these days. I don't have a detail shot of the winding check and I can't remember with any certainty but it might be hard rubber. But the seat has a hard rubber butt cap, coin edge knurling on the sliding band and reel foot pocket, and of course the roll-stamped Edwards/Brewer name.
And if that wasn't enough, the male ferrules are capped a la Landman, but with hard rubber instead of metal.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 12/29/21 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

That is a very interesting Brewer!!! Very cool!! Thanks Jeff!!! 👍🏻

Paul

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Wonderful!

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Thanks for sharing these pics!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

This is a link back to my thread discussing a Herb Welch check made out to Eustis in mid-1919. I just replaced the images that Photobucket was nice enough to disrupt. It's from the end of the period when EWE was producing these Brewer rods.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=101361&p=904701#p904701

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

What a great piece of paper and history.
And the endorsement on the back is a very, very clear example of the signature of E. William Edwards.
Thanks, Jeff.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”