Silken wrapped flyrods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

jarylu
Sport

Silken wrapped flyrods

Post by jarylu »

Was there ever any evidence that Chubb ever used his silken process on
Wooden rods? I have one in my possession that resembles Chubb in slot of ways,
But it is of wood construction. I am aware that it was not his process to begin with,
And only ask about the oddity of wrapping a wooden constructed rod that way thanks in advance for any info on this. Tom DuRose

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Silken wrapped flyrods

Post by jeffkn1 »

The short answer is yes, per this page from the 1908 catalog (which can be downloaded from the web). Click to enlarge:

jarylu
Sport

Post by jarylu »

Thank you sir.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Ahhh... it is interesting that I came across his post.

First, let me say that I'm behind on checking in my purchased rods. Since losing my wife suddenly to cancer in January of 2018, I've been terrible about checking in the rods that I purchase. I still have over 50 rods that I've purchase between 2017 and now that I have not pulled out of the shipping box. Yeah, that's quite a daunting pile. In the past 3 months I've begun slowly breaking the log jam. A couple weeks ago I opened a rod that I bought last June because it was a Silkien marked rod (with a Chubb logo as well). It is complete with a burgundy velvet covered wooden form (burgundy velvet covered wood forms are rare) and a real leather case, velvet lined.

As I was checking it in a couple weeks ago I realized that the rod was round, and most likely lancewood, instead of bamboo. The Silkien wraps are in such great shape as well as the varnish, so I couldn't get a good look to see if it was just rounded bamboo or lancewood. I pulled it out again this evening and determined that it is probably made of lancewood. The reel seat and ferrules are made of nickel silver and it has 5 English twist snake guides on the tip sections. All of the hallmarks of a high-end rod. I find it interesting that Chubb was still building high-end, Silkien wrapped fly rods as late as 1908. Another interesting piece of rod-making history.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”