Jenkins repair?

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

scarlet>fire
Guide

Jenkins repair?

Post by scarlet>fire »

Morning Everyone,
I recently purchased a beautiful Jenkins GA79. When putting it together to do the "wiggle test" in my den, I noticed recently that it has a very tiny click when I flex it. Bummer. Since Steve isnt building rods right now do you have any recommendations on who I might send it to to address the issue? Appreciate your opinions.

best, Chris

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jenkins repair?

Post by jim royston »

If the ferrules are tight enough to pop when you take it apart, I wouldn't worry about it.
The click test is a little misleading. Under normal casting circumstances, you will never repeat the action that creates the click, wagging the rod back and forth repeatedly and quickly.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Without knowing what is causing the click, I respectfully disagree with Jim. If the click is the ferrule clicking with the bamboo because of a failed adhesive, then you're only asking for big problems while continuing to use the rod. I recommend sending it to Glenn and the Boo Boys at Sweetgrass.

Cheers,
Joe

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Just for the heck of it, wiggle it with one hand while putting pressure on the stripping guide with the other. Still hear it? I have found the clicking culprit more than once to be the stripping guide.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Appreciate the insight everyone. Thanks. I emailed Glenn to get his thoughts. Cheers- cant wait till Spring!

Best, Chris

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Check the tip top also. A loose one caused a click once for me.
You can also use a hot hairdryer. Blow it on the ferrule. Turn the rod at the same time. It might relocate the glue in there. Make sure its not too hot. If it hurts your hand, it's too hot.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”