Thomas & Thomas History

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Thomas & Thomas History

Post by Caneghost »

I am wondering if anyone has information on the year that Thomas & Thomas began offering impregnated rods as an alternative to varnished rods?

Several years ago, when I was trying to find the location of their early Chambersburg, PA rod shop I 8o 8o believe someone had an early brochure. Something like that might help if there is any date on it.

Never did find anyone who could solve the shop location mystery though I may have pinned down the vicinity enough to determine the house and barn in question no longer exists.

Thanks for any enlightenment the historians here might provide.

Caneghost
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Thomas & Thomas History

Post by creakycane »

An undated catalog I have (burnt orange cover, College Park, MD address) states that the finish is in the rod ("subtle impregnation"), implying they are all made in that fashion. FWIW, a Gnat series 2/2 rod in this catalog was 170$ Not sure what happened in earlier catalogs, if there were any.

A later 1976 catalog offers a choice of impregation or varnish. A Hendrickson 2/2 is 310.oo in this catalog.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Thanks creaky! I think one I fished once that dated from '72 and was definitely made in Chambersburg, PA ('69 -'73) was impregnated. It was a $100 rod in its time, their entry level single tipper, 6'6" for a five.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Caneghost wrote:
04/04/21 08:59
Thanks creaky! I think one I fished once that dated from '72 and was definitely made in Chambersburg, PA ('69 -'73) was impregnated. It was a $100 rod in its time, their entry level single tipper, 6'6" for a five.
Yep, in the first catalog I mentioned, the single tip 6'6" 5 wt was 105.00. One could have bought a matching Archie Walker reel for 52.50!

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I believe that they offered impregnated finish rods from the getgo

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

A few years ago I purchased the eighth rod (they started at number 2001) they sold to the public. FWIW it is an impregnated classic.
Additionally Bob Summers has the first T&T sold on his site so...if your really curious you might reach out and ask him about that rod.
At the very least it is clear they offered impregnated rods right from the beginning of their production.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Yes, I did see that rod on Summers' site! I had forgotten about that one.

This Hendrickson is a lovely light caramel color. Their impregnation was very subtle. The cane work is lovely and it fished beautifully yesterday. Hopefully today I can find a ring on that surface!

It seems that rod making was not a sole profession for the two Tom's prior to that move to Massachusetts.. Still using the College Park, MD address on brochures supports that idea (still teaching?). I know that Tom Maxwell lived in Shippensburg, PA during that early period, though I do not know exact dates. I have always assumed that they hand planed their rods until buying out Dunton and having his milling machine available, but I don't know that. 700 or more rods for two makers over about three years seems a lot of rods even on a full time basis judging by the serial numbers. That assumes their numbering was consecutive of course, though many rod makers seem to have somewhat indecipherable systems. Some also change systems over the course of their careers.

I certainly hope that Tom Dorsey publishes the book he has been working on.

Thanks for the info guys!

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”