Phillipson Pacemaker ?

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Phillipson Pacemaker ?

Post by ozarkwater »

Have conducted some research and made a post or two with some great feedback regarding Phillipson rods.

So far...have not found anything specifically for the following.

Do have a question. Did Phillipson make a Pacemaker for a #7 weight line? #6/7 would be acceptable too. Trying to fill out a bevy of casting and fly rods in the Pacemaker line up. Or...was that another line up, the 7 weight line? I have seen numerous Paragons...but just curious if Pacemakers are out there on the market on a somewhat regular basis.

Thank you, in advance!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Phillipson Pacemaker ?

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, If I'm right, the Pacemaker was a grade of rod. The tapers were the same for each grade, so there should be a 7wt. for you somewhere.

Jay Edwards

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Thank you bluesjay.

Previous, many have responded that a Paragon in the 9' 3/2 #7 config are great rods. May have to fill the slot with a Paragon. That would be horrible, not! Then possibly a Pacemaker to finish out my small group of Phillipson rods, when one shows up.

Ultimate goal is to obtain a suitable back up team to my Walton Powell lineup. Fish a Powell in the AM, fish a Phillipson in the PM. Trout in the AM, smallies in the PM, etc.

:D :D

William Dunn
Guide

Post by William Dunn »

ImageIMG_0887 by WILLIAM DUNN, on FlickrImageIMG_0886 by WILLIAM DUNN, on Flickr
I think this is one. There seems to be some significance to the "51" if I remember from Sinclair's book.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Ouch! A "51"?

https://www.finecane.com/phillipson/

Great source. You will find your info in the "5 Year Mark (1951).

William Dunn
Guide

Post by William Dunn »

ImageIMG_0888 by WILLIAM DUNN, on Flickr
Here's a copy of the reel seat.

finecane
Sport

Post by finecane »

The Pacemaker grade was available for the longest number of years of all varnished Phillipson rods from 1947 until 1954. It started out as the most "economically priced" grade in the lineup at $25 under the Powr Pakt @ $37.50, Paramount @ $50, and Premium @ $75. In 1949, the Paragon was introduced as the "new" lowest grade and offered at $19.75.

There was always a 9' - 5 5/8oz option available that fishes with a modern 6 or 7 wt line. In 1949, they also added 9' - 6oz option that's more of a 7/8wt (and rather scarce).

You should have no trouble finding a suitable Pacemaker in the 9' - 5 5/8oz configuration. It was the highest production grade and size.

Hope that helps.

https://www.finecane.com

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Thank you, thanks to all who have posted. The story of Bill Phillipson certainly adds to the joy of owning one.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”