Tom Nigro

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Tom Nigro

Post by Hellmtflies »

Does anyone know if Tom Nigro is still producing rectangular quads? Or, is he still making rods at all?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tom Nigro

Post by ibookje »

He seems to gone out of sight some 15 years ago

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I posted a query here months back as well as on the PA flyfishing forum and had zero response. I even messaged Bob Summers as he has a couple of Tom's rods on his site. No one seems to know what became of Tom and his Spring Creek Rods. I have a nice little 7' 4 weight he built for me several years ago.

I think it is safe to say he is no longer making rods and is out of the craft; a shame.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Mark, stop by Crazy Mountain Outdoor Company at 2504 W Main St. Suite B2 ( Tel. 577 2660 ) in your very own town. The owner Sam Valone opened the shop 4 years ago at just 27 years old, but he’s made modern hollow built rods from Sweetgrass, Chris Raine and Tom Nigro one of his specialties. If you don’t know him yet ( I personally do not ) I bet he would love to talk cane with you, and answer any questions he may be able to help with about Tom Nigro specifically. I am guessing you very likely know this information already, but if not then I hope it may be of some use for you.

Also looking forward to your next trouting update here!

Cheers
Adrien

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

THat Crazy Mountain place looks like it may be out of business. Their website appears mostly non-functional and the latest evident dates on there are early in 2019.

Should any readers find out what became of Tom Nigro, please share the information. He was doing some neat things!

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Caneghost, my impression was the same as yours based on their website. As a young guy it seems the owner prefers to do his updating via Facebook, (which I don’t use), and I visited their page off a Google search. There have been pretty much weekly updates, and it appears the shop remains open 10 to 5 daily, including Sunday. If you’re unable to get further info about Tom Nigro here on the Forum, a call to Sam at the shop might offer something. All I’m going on is the fact that Sam specifically mentioned Nigro along with Sweetgrass and Chris Raine as sources for his shop of hollowed modern cane rods when they opened 4 years ago. I don’t know if Tom supplies rods for the shop or not, or any other information. I’m also curious.

I myself only communicated with Tom around 9 years ago about his work a couple of times, and I find his rods very innovative. At that time he remained active.

On a different note I looked at your blog recently and found it a real pleasure to read! I will certainly revisit it, a lot of great Information and stories to get through, from a region I don’t know so much about. Thanks for offering it to us to enjoy, a real effort you’ve put into it.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Caneghost wrote:
09/12/21 05:56
THat Crazy Mountain place looks like it may be out of business. Their website appears mostly non-functional and the latest evident dates on there are early in 2019.
I just stopped there. It is more of an outdoor store than a fly shop. They have a small fishing section that includes rods by Chris Raine, Sweetgrass and Tom Nigro. Sam is very knowledgeable when it comes to cane.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Hi Adrien, I've been there. I went to meet Sam when he first opened a few years ago. Not worth my time as far as cane goes. But he does offer a ton of clothing. The store is in a terrible location as well. To bad as it had potential. But all of that said there is a ton of competition in the fly fishing world here in Bozeman. Nine FF shops in Bozeman alone. Then there are all the ones within an hour or so from town. Then there are the countless outfitters and guides. More than one can count. :(

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That’s a lot of fly shops. Wonder how many will survive?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hellmtflies wrote:
09/16/21 13:26
Hi Adrien, I've been there. I went to meet Sam when he first opened a few years ago. Not worth my time as far as cane goes. But he does offer a ton of clothing. The store is in a terrible location as well. To bad as it had potential. But all of that said there is a ton of competition in the fly fishing world here in Bozeman. Nine FF shops in Bozeman alone. Then there are all the ones within an hour or so from town. Then there are the countless outfitters and guides. More than one can count. :(
Mark, where he fits in is for the guy who is willing to spend 2G on a cane rod but doesn't want to wait.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PYochim wrote:
09/16/21 16:56
Hellmtflies wrote:
09/16/21 13:26
Mark, where he fits in is for the guy who is willing to spend 2G on a cane rod but doesn't want to wait.
Or, the guy with too much money and doesn't know what he's buying. Just has to have a cane rod for the office or such. Good for the makers I guess.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hellmtflies wrote:
09/16/21 18:48
Or, the guy with too much money and doesn't know what he's buying. Just has to have a cane rod for the office or such. Good for the makers I guess.
Maybe so but Hatch Finders in Livingston has two Kagerow rods at a higher price point than the ones at Crazy Mountain Outdoor Co. I guess they just need the right buyer. No one goes into either store looking for a cane rod. What took me into both stores was that I was looking for tying material. Most folks I know who fish cane rods buy them unseen. I have five cane rods. I never saw any of them until they arrived on my doorstep.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Mark, I don’t know of any other shops who have rods by Tom Nigro in Montana, as that’s who you specifically inquired about. It’s quite possible Sam would know if he’s still active or not, or could put you in touch with him. If you find out, let us know, as there hasn’t been much heard from Tom in some years, as has been mentioned.

wbinn
Guide

Post by wbinn »

I may have the wrong guy here but did Tom Nigro work in Paul Youngs shop in some minor way?

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

I just emailed the shop about a different subject he respond quickly with correct answers give him a try

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

wbinn wrote:
09/17/21 14:43
I may have the wrong guy here but did Tom Nigro work in Paul Youngs shop in some minor way?
I think that was Tom Ciemega.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Yes, that’s correct, Tom Ciemega did some work with Paul Young and Bob Summers from 1954 to 1960.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I tried emailing the shop and the webpage simply farted and ate it, telling me to try again. I didn't. I think if Tom had moved west and was making rods, the searches I did a while back would have turned up something.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Not sure if he is still active. His website was up about two years ago. Maybe less. I just sent him an email as it was still in my address book. It was Tom at springcreekrods.com.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I had tried his website last year and did not find it. He seems to have vanished without a trace. I hope he is well. Tom made a nice rod.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”