South Bend 330

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend 330

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Are there any pictures of 30, 31, or 330 South Bends? These are the rods with alternating dark and light strips. They are $35.00 rods on page two in the 1939 SB catalog, at the top of the page.

Jay Edwards

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: South Bend 330

Post by jeffkn1 »

Jay

I've never seen a photograph of any of the short-lived lineup with the alternating strip colors, though I did have a chance to briefly look at one while doing appraisals once, maybe 15 years back. To me it was quite striking in appearance and I have watched for one ever since, to no avail.
This is an example of why so many people find South Bend fly rod history so difficult to follow. They changed model specs on some of the rods between 1925 and 1941. The 1939 catalog specs double built construction with the outer strips in alternating colors, but if you back up to 1925 you see the 30 as a blond, single built rod, one still being sourced from Winchester. The 31 and 330 were added sometime after 1925. The 1925 and 1939 versions are two entirely different rods being sold under the same model number. In between, South Bend's marketing team was obviously still looking for a direction; they had the capability of making anything in bamboo but seemingly didn't know how to best direct their efforts. Another example of a little-known change was when they took the model 12, which began life as a Winchester-sourced entry level rod, and went to double built construction. It's in the catalogs though I don't recall which year they did that.
I lusted for one of the later 330's, particularly in the 8 foot length (which they never made) but given their scarcity don't expect to ever see a 330 in any length before I die. If you find one, grab it.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

I got real lucky and stumbled on to this SB 330. I don’t very much about South Bend rods but when I saw this I knew it is unique. I’ve been into bamboo for over 30 years and have handled hundreds of cane rods but never saw one before.
8’6”,3/2, 17/11 ferrules. Full length and straight. I think the reel seat has been redone I suspect the original plastics disintegrated the replacement of blonde maple looks fine. I have a fondness for Michigan and Midwest rods and this is a great addition to the collection.

DatsunDoc
Sport

Post by DatsunDoc »

I have a 9' South Bend 330

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ah Ha! There's the reel seat. Something I notice with both rods is the male ferrule slide of nickel silver soldered to a chromed sleeve. I have a Sylph with that type ferrule. Do you guys see a pin anywhere? It's interesting to see a 330. Thanks for posting.

Jay Edwards

DatsunDoc
Sport

Post by DatsunDoc »

Jay, I don't see any obvious pins. I figured the ferrules were chrome plated and the chrome was worn off on the slide portion.One of my ferrules has the plating worn off on one side the shoulder.

I sent you a PM on another subject.

Mike

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I missed a really nice 9 footer on eBay once, and like Jeffkn, I became obsessed with finding one as well. I kinda gave up, but this thread reinvigorated my interest.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Another Ah Ha! My Sylph is pretty well used, so wear would explain the raw NS. Thanks, Jay Edwards

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Hi, I just finished trying some different lines on my 330. For me it really worked equally well with a DT6 sylk and a WF6. Looking forward to getting it on the water.
I looked very closely for ferrule pins but didn’t see anything. The chrome plating on the sleeves is in great shape, no evidence of chrome on any of the slides. I suspect they weren’t ever chromed plated it could make the fit difficult and the chrome could wear the female ferrule.

bioprofsd

Post by bioprofsd »

jeffkn1 wrote:
09/24/21 08:16
Jay

I've never seen a photograph of any of the short-lived lineup with the alternating strip colors, though I did have a chance to briefly look at one while doing appraisals once, maybe 15 years back. To me it was quite striking in appearance and I have watched for one ever since, to no avail.
This is an example of why so many people find South Bend fly rod history so difficult to follow. They changed model specs on some of the rods between 1925 and 1941. The 1939 catalog specs double built construction with the outer strips in alternating colors, but if you back up to 1925 you see the 30 as a blond, single built rod, one still being sourced from Winchester. The 31 and 330 were added sometime after 1925. The 1925 and 1939 versions are two entirely different rods being sold under the same model number. In between, South Bend's marketing team was obviously still looking for a direction; they had the capability of making anything in bamboo but seemingly didn't know how to best direct their efforts. Another example of a little-known change was when they took the model 12, which began life as a Winchester-sourced entry level rod, and went to double built construction. It's in the catalogs though I don't recall which year they did that.
I lusted for one of the later 330's, particularly in the 8 foot length (which they never made) but given their scarcity don't expect to ever see a 330 in any length before I die. If you find one, grab it.
Jay,

I was an avid collector of South Bend rods for a while, but lost interest due to a divorce and other hobbies. I recently pulled some rods out of a closet and looked at them. Here are some pictures of a model 330 made in 1937. It is the last year that they used the orange, black and red silks and one of the first years that they used the downlocking seats. If I remember correctly, I had to replace a couple of the orange wraps on the guides. Some of the ferrule wraps are fading. It is a 9' rod and seems to be heavier than the bass weight model 31 that I have from 1930. I thought you might want to see some pictures of these,

Last edited by bioprofsd on 10/22/23 07:31, edited 2 times in total.

bioprofsd

Post by bioprofsd »

bluesjay wrote:
09/23/21 20:38
Hi Guys, Are there any pictures of 30, 31, or 330 South Bends? These are the rods with alternating dark and light strips. They are $35.00 rods on page two in the 1939 SB catalog, at the top of the page.

Jay Edwards
Here are some pictures of a model 31, first listed in the 1930 catlalog. The 1931 catalog shows this model with a downlocking reel seat. Sometime later they switched to black and white silks.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”