E.W.Edwards/Winchester question

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: E.W.Edwards/Winchester question

Post by Gnome »

The proven fact that makers did what Royce said and one example is John B McHarg and his burning ash butts and mids to make them look like Calcutta!!

sometimes "Change" can take decades or more where fishing rods are concerned and this is due to how "Bound by Tradition" and how deeply some are stuck in the box and their refusal to consider anything that is not already accepted, and that restricts advancement!! IMHO

Just like what happened with Tonkin early on and if you consider Mitchell talking about his early use of Tonkin we are looking at 3-5 decades before Tonkin was widely accepted as the material for bamboo rods.

2 copper pieces from the Iconoclast

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I've mentioned this before; Betty Malara of Phillipson/Pioneer rods showed me the 'bomb like' ammonia 'retort' and said they used 8 psi.

Jay Edwards

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Peales, I found some more information on Payne in Hoagy’s book. Hoagy says that when Frank Oram joined Payne in 1924 he suggested they add a line of darker rods that were flame treated with blued hardware. This was, apparently, to compete with dark rods he saw being produced by Leonard as early as 1923, which were (apparently) stained brown and not flamed (page 77). Hoagy also says that Eustis Edwards developed the flame toning process by 1914-15.
Payne’s process was to flame treat the outside of the bamboo culms with a torch before splitting.
Jay Edwards, thanks for adding the information on Phillipson. I wonder if that was the same retort pictured in the granger book.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Thanks Joel, those were good discussions.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

2dabacking,
thanks for linking these excellent threads!

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Yes, interesting threads. I am curious about the idea of Thomas using ammonia. Is it even possible to combine ammonia with iodine without an adverse reaction / hazardous event?

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”