Ted Knott rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Ted Knott rods

Post by creakycane »

I was wondering if people on the board had many rods from the late Ted Knott? I picked up a 7' 4 wt Payne tapered Knott with strong tips that seems very nice. I was particularly interested in his other tapers, especialaly the smaller rods he made and what people might have.... Just curious. Thanks
Last edited by creakycane on 04/23/09 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Ted Knott rods

Post by JimmyB11 »

Ted was an Ontario rodbuilder that sold quite a few rods after he retired. The rods are standard tapers based on available tapers and were simple rods made for fishing.
Visit me at the Canebuilder channel on YouTube
See about our gathering in 2017 www.canadiancane.com
Everything I know I have learned from others....................

Coldreive
Guide

Ted Knott rods

Post by Coldreive »

According to "Splitting Cane" Mr. Knott modified existing tapers to suit his own needs/wants in a rod . Payne for shorter rods and Young for longer/heavier rods . Hopefully one of the Ontario Makers will post as Mr. Knott was big in the local makers community .
Interesting enough at the recent flyfishing forum here in Ontario someone mentioned that a local chapter of TU had his last blank and was getting another maker to finish it out .

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Ted Knott rods

Post by JimmyB11 »

Ted's rods were standard tapers and yes another rodmaker finished his last blank and it is being raffled to raise funds for the "Ted Knott TU Chapter"
Visit me at the Canebuilder channel on YouTube
See about our gathering in 2017 www.canadiancane.com
Everything I know I have learned from others....................

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Ted Knott rods

Post by creakycane »

Thanks Gents - I looked in Splitting cane, and it seems this rod I have is spot on the one described in the chapter - from what I can see it is a Payne 98 (slightly lighter in the butt) with slightly thicker tips as the book indicates.

quadfisher
Guide

Ted Knott rods

Post by quadfisher »

Hello Creakycane: Any interest in selling your Knott bamboo. I was a clsoe friend of Ted's and am in search of something I should have commissioned many years ago, too late now.
Full nets, Chris

welafong1

Re: Ted Knott rods

Post by welafong1 »

all i can say about ted is that he was a hell of a nice guy that left us to soon there should be more like him
Richard Westerfield

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

I am also watching for a Ted Knott bamboo rod. I found a rod by another builder that worked with Ted on refining the gluing process. Ted mentions it in an article he wrote. Many knew Ted, and one that worked with him mentioned that his approach on finishing was "more is less". The elegance was in the simplicity.

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Sorry about that - where "less is more".

Ron Barch
Guide

Post by Ron Barch »

Ted was a close friend and I always enjoyed fishing with him. Ted was an accomplished rod maker who often contributed to The Planing Form newsletter. Ron Barch

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”